Doing wonderful!!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

CastIronQueen

May 31, 2021
Chicago
Hi all! It's been a while, and that's because I have been making sure our new to us stove has been working well, and gathering some info.
In November we installed our stove, and have been running it during the weekend, extreme cold, and allowing it to burn out after a certain time. Usually 8 pm. Our little stove is a recreational/ secondary/ shtf.
It takes a long an hour, usually every hour and a half if it's oak. We get the back end of our house pretty toasty at 72. Let me tell you 72 in the back vs 72 in the front where it's furnace heat is a totally different heat!
Since I did a lot of work on this little guy, I wish there was a way to get the percentage of heat recovery, I'm curious to know. But happy to know my little monster runs well with zero leaks and issues make me even happier.
Please know we have sealed the wall with the insulation hanging out on the right. These are pics from 11-21

IMG_20211109_171031_120.jpg IMG_20211118_155226_149.jpg

Reactions: armanidog
How come it "burns out in an hour/hour and a half"?
That stove should be able to burn much, much longer.
If you want that (...) I think you'd have to put more wood in.
So unless you are happy with a 1 hr burn, how much wood are you putting in?

That definitely looks like you can put some more wood in there and achieve longer burn times. Or are you just experimenting with the stove on weekends??

That's how my wife burns our jotul when i'm not home. 1 log at a time. I tell her every time to put at least 3 in when you do that, but every time, it's 1 log at a time. I gave up.

But she is pretty good at setting up the Top Down fire, so go figure?

Reactions: PAbeech
That's how my wife burns our jotul when i'm not home. 1 log at a time. I tell her every time to put at least 3 in when you do that, but every time, it's 1 log at a time. I gave up.

Top down with one log? Impressive balancing act :D

• Haha
Reactions: Dan Freeman
Top down with one log? Impressive balancing act :D
Ha yeah, that would be something. 1 log reloads, but she fills the entire firebox up to almost touching the baffles on the Top Down Starts. All or nothing for her i guess.

Reactions: stoveliker
It seems to be doing the job, why don't you load it up and get some long burns? You'll save on fossil fuels and your house will feel much warmer. Mines been going for almost two months with maybe a day or two break in between when its warmed up.

Hi all! This is our first wood stove. We both grew up in the inner city Chicago, and this is my brainchild.
We are very new to this (since November 21), an we are nervous about over firing our stove. The highest we have gotten the stove was 700. We keep it at 450 -500. I know the stove can handle a temp of 1000.
1: We are timing the different Woods so we can get a guage of how long the burn times are. Then we can use the best wood for our house. So yes right now we throw one log in at a time. Out of fear and curiosity.
2: yes the stove is recreational, and we only run it when we are both here, and in extreme cold.
After this winter we will have a better understanding of our stoves capabilities, and tighten up any "loose ends".
We will definitely try multiple logs, and the top down method.

I'd not go beyond 850-900 on the stove top temp.

Thats funny because my wife does the same thing when im not home. 1 log every reload 🤣 ive also told her to put 3 logs in. 2 bottom one on top lol. Cant complain though the house is warm and shes controlling the damper 👌

Reactions: bigealta
Thats funny because my wife does the same thing when im not home. 1 log every reload 🤣 ive also told her to put 3 logs in. 2 bottom one on top lol. Cant complain though the house is warm and shes controlling the damper 👌
That's more than what my wife's doing, she loves the stove but has no interest in running it which is fine because it's something I enjoy.

Reactions: PAbeech