Dolkita 6421 pic

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Highbeam

Minister of Fire
Dec 28, 2006
Mt. Rainier Foothills, WA
Finally got to get into some doug fir that made my 28" bar feel small. Stock HD rental saw with skip chain. I traded my MS290 for this saw a couple of years ago and really like it for bucking. It's awfully heavy when you have to limb a tree or work in a pile of slash though. I pack along the OEM 20" bar and a few chains for backup.

Saw still has cat muffler and I've never touched the carb screws. I sure do like the huge fuel/oil tanks.

Attachments

• IMG_1151.JPG
    IMG_1151.JPG
    108.6 KB · Views: 418
  • IMG_1153.JPG
    IMG_1153.JPG
    102.8 KB · Views: 393
Good looking saw.

Reactions: Highbeam
Nice picture. I'm a big fan of Dolmars / Makitas they are just so well thought out or atleast the ones I've had a chance to use.

Are you going to put the big bore kit on it ? Seems like an easy way to get even more power if you wanted more. Not that the saw needs it they run strong in 64-65 cc form as it is.

By the way those look like some big heavy rounds you got there. How did you get them in your truck ?

You traded an MS290 for that saw straight up? If so, man you sure made out on that deal. Love my Dolkita. I got mine for free from HD with a fried P&C so did the 79cc OEM upgrade.

I got mine for free from HD with a fried P&C so did the 79cc OEM upgrade.

I would love to get my hands on one of those saws with the slug and jug upgrade (79cc). Too many positive comments about the upgrade not to pay attention. I am a Stihl fanboy but would be willing to step out of my comfort zone to try one.

I've got a stock 64cc Dolmar, and haven't even muffler modded it yet because it does so well without.

I do eventually plan to cut down the stock dawgs, mod the muffler, and retune the carb. I don't think the big bore kit is in my future (the extra power would of course be nice, but I'm not sure I want to trade fuel efficiency for power I don't really NEED).

My saw even has a built in security system (It's really easy to flood if you're not familiar with it, so other people often can't start it. :) )

You traded an MS290 for that saw straight up? If so, man you sure made out on that deal. Love my Dolkita. I got mine for free from HD with a fried P&C so did the 79cc OEM upgrade.

I sold the MS290 with case for like 250$ cash, might have been 275$ via CL. Bought the dolmar for 275 plus tax so about 300$. Had them both at the same time since I really wasn't looking for the dolmar, it just showed up.

I would love to do the upgrade but isn't there some issue with the OEM 6421 plastics and the compression release button on the 79cc kit?

I've got a stock 64cc Dolmar, and haven't even muffler modded it yet because it does so well without.

I do eventually plan to cut down the stock dawgs, mod the muffler, and retune the carb. I don't think the big bore kit is in my future (the extra power would of course be nice, but I'm not sure I want to trade fuel efficiency for power I don't really NEED).

My saw even has a built in security system (It's really easy to flood if you're not familiar with it, so other people often can't start it. :) )

The stock dawgs are big but provide clearance when noodling down rounds. Last night I filled the truck with cherry that was 30" or so and I couldn't lift them without cutting in half. Does removing the cat make them louder? I like a relatively quiet machine but also like to let it breathe.

The dolmar has been super easy to start. Too easy. Maybe my home depot already tweaked the carb. I haven't looked to see if the screws are epoxied shut.

Those big fir rounds in the picture were too big for me to lift as well. I started cutting (noodling) the first one and a guy popped up from the house and helped me load. Big rounds are much easier to load with two people. Not awkward and the truck gets filled FAST.

Here's another pic after I first got it. 20" bar is good backup.

Attachments

• saw.JPG
    saw.JPG
    151.5 KB · Views: 348
That looks like a great saw! I just found two 6421s at HD and I'm going to buy them both. I have a PS510 and it has been a great saw, looking forward to something a little bigger to go with it. Thanks for sharing!

I would love to do the upgrade but isn't there some issue with the OEM 6421 plastics and the compression release button on the 79cc kit?

Not with your saw based on the picture you uploaded. You can get the kit for about $200. Even if there was an issue, the kit comes with new top cover that aligns with the decomp valve.

Does removing the cat make them louder?

I never ran mine with the cat muffler so nothing to compare to. I have a Dolmar dealer nearby that had a non-cat muffler in stock so I bought that. I have seen it where guys will split open the cat muffler and gut it and re-crimp the seams, but I don't have the tools to do that.

Not with your saw based on the picture you uploaded. You can get the kit for about $200. Even if there was an issue, the kit comes with new top cover that aligns with the decomp valve.

Cool, yes that is my saw. I see the OEM 79 kits on amazon for almost 100$ from a forum guy on that other site. I wonder if you are talking about a different kit. Can you point me to your source?

Dolmar guys, beware of this problem. It may be my fault since I've only ever ran Stihl saws and their nuts are bigger (haha). I was noodling the big fir rounds in the photo and the saw spit out the chain. Weird, I thought. It wasn't loose when I started. Then I noticed that the cause of the spittage was that I had loose bar nuts and one was GONE. Hell. I'm a long ways from home and need to load a lot of wood. Since I had cut in this same place yesterday I started looking through the piles of noodles and got majorly lucky. Like lottery lucky and found it.

I did bugger up the drive teeth on the chain so I need to un-mushroom them before I can reuse it but since I found that nut I was back in business with a new chain.

How tight do these little dolmar nuts need to be? I'm just using a scrench.

Oh and I'm not fat, my hands are just very meaty. Looks like I'm the marshmallow man in these pics.

Attachments

• IMG_1174.JPG
    IMG_1174.JPG
    100.3 KB · Views: 268
  • IMG_1175.JPG
    IMG_1175.JPG
    128.8 KB · Views: 275
  • IMG_1176.JPG
    IMG_1176.JPG
    169.3 KB · Views: 266
Cool, yes that is my saw. I see the OEM 79 kits on amazon for almost 100$ from a forum guy on that other site. I wonder if you are talking about a different kit. Can you point me to your source?

I got mine from fordf150 on AnotherSite. IIRC, it came with OEM 79cc/52mm cylinder (Mahle), piston with rings already installed, hood cover (matte black) ,$200 shipped.. It did not come with a base gasket or wrist pin bearing.

I suspect the ones you are seeing on Amazon are aftermarket and probably the big bore ones (54mm). I opted to go the OEM route with my rebuild.

I suspect the ones you are seeing on Amazon are aftermarket and probably the big bore ones (54mm). I opted to go the OEM route with my rebuild.

You're right. Aftermarket. I would pay extra for OEM.

Last edited:
I haven't seen any carb adjustments/fuel/air. Any advice around this topic for this upgrade?

Tune it as you would any saw. If you've never done it before, there is all sorts of info if you search for it on the interweb. A tachometer helps, but not necessary. This saw has a limited coil which makes it trickier. Mine 4-stroked just over 12,500 and it was not hitting the limiter. I usually start with the H and L all the way seated, then back them off about 1 full turn then fine tune from there. Hope that helps.

Tune it as you would any saw. If you've never done it before, there is all sorts of info if you search for it on the interweb. A tachometer helps, but not necessary. This saw has a limited coil which makes it trickier. Mine 4-stroked just over 12,500 and it was not hitting the limiter. I usually start with the H and L all the way seated, then back them off about 1 full turn then fine tune from there. Hope that helps.

Sorry, I think I was somewhere around 13,000 when it 4-stroked. But every saw is saw is going to tune differently based on local conditions.

Even just removing the cat, it needs a tune. When you folks remove the inner two cat plates, must you also remove that cage silencer looking thing? Quieter is good.

How tight do these little dolmar nuts need to be? I'm just using a scrench.

I just crank mine down hand tight with a scrench (I don't crank it as hard as I can, just nice and snug plus a bit more). Never had one shake loose, but I usually undo/redo them to adjust the chain every tank of gas.

Maybe replace that nut in case the threads are worn down, and check the post for the same problem. A little plumbing teflon tape could help temporarily if the threads on the bolt are worn.

Even just removing the cat, it needs a tune. When you folks remove the inner two cat plates, must you also remove that cage silencer looking thing? Quieter is good.

When I muffler mod small engines, I look at the muffler and figure out a way to give the air a clean shot through the muffler without giving it a clean line of sight , if possible. Sometimes that's easy, sometimes not. I never gut the whole thing, usually just add holes with a drill and/or files.

Haven't done my Dolmar yet, but when I do I will post some photos.

Status
Not open for further replies.