Dollar Bill Test on Door Gasket Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jadm

Dec 31, 2007
colorado
Insert 1 year old. Keep getting dirty glass on left panel of door so I did dollar bill test. Tight all the way around except I could pull it easily out on left top section of the door.

I am having a faulty blower replaced (warranty covering it) and am wondering if I should have gasket replaced too.

If I should have it replaced what type of gasket material should be used? What brands should be avoided?

(Area where bill pulled freely was above the door handle extending up to the top of the door and then extending along the top of the door for about 4" so I would say about an 8 or 9 inch. area.)

Thanks.

[Hey, perplexed..

<>Insert 1 year old. Keep getting dirty glass on left panel of door so I did dollar bill test. Tight all the way around except I could pull it easily out on left top section of the door.
I am having a faulty blower replaced (warranty covering it) and am wondering if I should have gasket replaced too.
If I should have it replaced what type of gasket material should be used? What brands should be avoided?
(Area where bill pulled freely was above the door handle extending up to the top of the door and then extending along the top of the door for about 4" so I would say about an 8 or 9 inch. area.)<>

I'd call your dealer or whoever is going to replace your fan & let him know about the leak.
That way they'll be prepared to have it checked out by the service tech when he shows up...
Gasket is probably not gonna be covered under warranty...
Rutland makes a good rope gasket, but if your dealer's been in business for any length of time, he'll have the right stuff...

Not being familiar with the 550....is there any door adjustment? A gasket should last more than 1 year. I have yet to replace one in 6 seasons and they are doing fine.

Jags said:
Not being familiar with the 550....is there any door adjustment? A gasket should last more than 1 year. I have yet to replace one in 6 seasons and they are doing fine.

Good question that I can ask when tech. comes to replace the blower. I have read here that they do last years and was thinking that it just got installed wrong or something at the factory didn't even consider the door being off kilter.

THanks for the suggestion.

Yeah I agree with Jags...on the fire box side of the handle should be a nut you can ratchet down a little.

Ours come loose occasionally so I can see a little fire light when it's dark. Since we pretty much burn wide open for max heat all the time now it's no show stopper...when we leave the house I'll tighten it up.

How do you get the dollar bill test to work? Mine keeps catching fire before I can tell if the gasket is tight. I'd like to figure this out but it's getting expensive. Do 20's work better?

GaryS said:
How do you get the dollar bill test to work? Mine keeps catching fire before I can tell if the gasket is tight. I'd like to figure this out but it's getting expensive. Do 20's work better?

Hundreds have better fire retardants. Try a few of those.

GaryS said:

I agree with Jags. Works a lot quicker when using 100's or even 1,000's. :ahhh:

Please let us all know when it does work so we can save $$$$.

lol - yes, I see your problem! It may not be much longer and we may also be using paper money to ignite our kindling - what then? a gold leaf test for the door seal? Inflation is coming back soon I hear!

I have had the same problem with the same part of my Dovre Aurora stove since I bought it back in '93; everywhere was tight except the upper left side. I adjusted the door latch, even tried to adjust the whole door because you can on this stove, and basically resolved myself to "that's just how it is going to be". What I did was put some more flat gasket over the existing gasket; that filled in the "gap" pretty well and it works. But you may be able to "correct" your probem without having to resort to this-best of luck with it!

I also have a 550 purchased around the same time as Perplexed. When I first got it it would not pass the dollar bill test, but after using it for a few weeks, the gasket seemed to set in and then passed fine. I have not checked it since then, but the next time the stove is cold I will try it and let you know (yes, testing it when it is cool will avoid the burning bill problem). The door latch on the 550 has a spring loaded latching system and it looks as though there is no adjustment needed or available. My window stays perfectly clear with very little dust buildup after a couple weeks as long as I burn perfectly dry wood. As soon as I run into a piece that is not fully seasoned, the glass gets black on the sides.

Status
Not open for further replies.