Dollar bill test

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mrs. Krabappel

Minister of Fire
Jan 31, 2010
Blue Ridge Mountains NC
First of all, while flexing my google-fu skills I learned that there are many different types of dollar bill tests :eek:hh:

Second of all, I learned that a small panhandling orphan carrying a dollar bill could easily slip through my gasket :wow:

No wonder my relatively new stove has been taking off and scaring the heck out of me.

off to learn a new skill.

I did the test today .. bill pulled through with almost no resistance.

So I should change the gasket right ?

MRiddle said:

Or turn the stove into a vending machine.

In several places I can actually push the dollar bill in.

~*~Kathleen~*~ said:

Quick, get a sugar daddy to fill it ;-P

~*~Kathleen~*~ said:

Wait, your new stove should not have this issue. Nothing is warped or miss-aligned, right? I just find it hard to believe the gaskets would need to be replaced already.

Doing The Dixie Eyed Hustle said:
Quick, get a sugar daddy to fill it ;-P

You know some friends of mine are hot to fix me up on a blind date with a friend of theirs. I had ZERO interest. I mean really.
But then I found out he owns a tree service. <Swoon>

BrowningBAR said:
~*~Kathleen~*~ said:

Wait, your new stove should not have this issue. Nothing is warped or miss-aligned, right? I just find it hard to believe the gaskets would need to be replaced already.

The handle seem very loose also. I can rotate it all the way around. Of course I'm burning almost 24/7 now with no furnace for back-up at the moment.

Take a straight edge, ruler will do fine teach, and place it on the top bottom and sides of the door opening in the firebox and make sure they are flat.

If that handle is going off the end of that wedge inside and letting you rotate it all the way around, get on the phone to ESW. First thing in the morning.

Probably because you have changed from a nice looking lady to what resembles a chickens head.

BrowningBAR said:
MRiddle said:

Or turn the stove into a vending machine.

:-/

Stove humor?

Let's get back on track here funsters Got a stove problem that needs solving.

In the interim Kathleen take a pair of pliers and squeeze the gasket to "pooch" it out some at the points where the bill slides in and out so easily.

We had this same problem with our Regency I1200 when we first purchased it. The fires seemed to really take off from time to time and bills easily slid out from the gasket. It turned out, the nut holding the handle was loose and the door latch wasn't engaging all the way. I'm not familiar with the stove you have, but I'm guessing there is probably something similar that you can tighten down. If your still having problems, I would also check the hinges to make sure they aren't sagging.

Good luck!

Go Blue! said:
We had this same problem with our Regency I1200 when we first purchased it. The fires seemed to really take off from time to time and bills easily slid out from the gasket. It turned out, the nut holding the handle was loose and the door latch wasn't engaging all the way. I'm not familiar with the stove you have, but I'm guessing there is probably something similar that you can tighten down. If your still having problems, I would also check the hinges to make sure they aren't sagging.

Good luck!

Not with the Englander. The door latch is a wedge inside the firebox that the handle engages. If it is slipping off of that wedge then something is seriously wrong. Mine only goes half way down it before the door is tight.

Stove is hot, so I cannot closely inspect the mechanism, but the handle can definitely rotate. Seems fine with a straight edge. Tomorrow is supposed to be warm so I won't run the stove and I'll get a change to play around with it when I get home.

Good for you for checking this out. If no phone, then PM Mike at stoveguy2esw or email [email protected]. This is definitely not right. The latch should catch in the wedge which in turn compresses the gasket snug. Is the door catching at all? That is, if you pull on the door handle when you think it's latched, does it open?

The door does catch. It takes a bit of muscle to get it around. I noticed this morning when I was shutting tightly to leave for work.

when I first bought my 30 the handle would do a similar maneuver and my glass was turning dark in spots no matter how I burned. Next time the stove got hot I opened the door, took a piece of 1 in steel pipe I had around and put it on the inside part of the door latch, put some weight on it to bend it to make the door tighter (really not that much) and have never had a problem since.

Not saying you should have to do this since you obviously have a new stove, but it's what it took for me. Best I can figure my door handle bar was about 1/8 in out too far. It didn't take much to get things tight.

The picture in my avatar is before I did this maneuver. Now, my handle is pointing directly at 4pm.

Good luck.

pen

~*~Kathleen~*~ said:
First of all, while flexing my google-fu skills I learned that there are many different types of dollar bill tests :eek:hh:

Second of all, I learned that a small panhandling orphan carrying a dollar bill could easily slip through my gasket :wow:

No wonder my relatively new stove has been taking off and scaring the heck out of me.

off to learn a new skill.

Too small of a bill. You need to use a $100 bill.

Do get that checked out FAST! The door should have some adjustment to take care of it. Do that ASAP.

Kathleen! You've morphed into a mille fleur hen.

~*~Kathleen~*~ said:
The door does catch. It takes a bit of muscle to get it around. I noticed this morning when I was shutting tightly to leave for work.

Kathleen on the handle for the door on our Lopi Liberty we have a couple of adjustments, the first is the nut on the inside can be tightened and if that won't fix the problem we can take off the nut then remove one of two washers then tighten the nut back down so we have a good seal.

Kathleen I removed one of the two washers and the seal is much better, once things cool off again and we have a fire we should see a difference.

zap

Attachments

• handle-1.jpg
    handle-1.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 563
THanks Zap, I can't seem to figure out how to access the inner mechanism on this handle.

Status
Not open for further replies.