Dollar Bill Test.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

karl

Minister of Fire
Apr 9, 2007
Huntington, West Virginia
I have a question regarding the dollar bill test. I just did it on my Summit. Near the latch the bill won't slide at all. Near the hinges I can slide it but it takes a fair amount of effort. Is this ok or should I try to fix it? There definately some tension on the bill all the way around the stove.

i would say also that if you gotta put a lot of effort into getting the dollar to slide you may be ok , but the gasket will compress with use so check with hog , or others with PE stoves and see if adjusting is better option now or after a few fires when the gasket settles in

As long as it is pretty snug, your ok. If it slides back & forth & in & out with little effort, then adjust.
Make sure you test top, bottom & both sides, all the way around. If its snug your good to go.
If you find your fires are starting to get away from you, then check the door again when cool.
Burn a couple weeks then test again just to be sure.

By the latch, I can't slide the dollar bill at all. But towards the hinges, I can slide it. It's not hard to slide, but there is definately drag on the dollar bill.

Get a week or two of good burning out of it, let cool & test again. When you say loose near hinges. Loose at the hinge side, or loose top & bottom near the hinges?

I'd see if you have air being sucked in the door when you burn. Mine showed some black on the glass from the cool air hitting the airwash.

Wait until you've had some burns.

Matt

Good Idea, light a match, or if you smoke a cigarrette, and move it around the door real close if you see the smoke suck in, it's ready for adjustment, or the flame on the match bend in towards the stove, its pulling air.

Status
Not open for further replies.