Dolmar 510 vs 5100

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

beagler

Sep 9, 2007
I'm considering these two saws. Does anyone know the major differences between the two? I've read someplace that the 5100 has a different crankcase (aluminimum or magnesium....I think...) I"m not a mechanic, so I do not understand the big difference here. Any input.

I just bought a 5100 about a month ago and just love it. in the past I have had cheap saws that did not last and I wasn't going that route again. If I understand correctly, the 5100 is more of a pro saw, lighter weight and runs higher rpms. I am impressed with the way The saw seems to stay cleaner around the clutch area than my old saws. I bought a extra chain from the local Stihl chain saw dealer and that saw cuts so good that it's unbeleaveable! I am not a pro ,just a wood burner but I highly recomend the 5100 !

I bought it from a small dealer that only had one 5100 in stock and it had the heated handle (that I did not want)
$400.00 plus a little extra for the govenor. I don't know if that is a good price or bad, It was one of those I need it right now situations.

I have a 5100 and a 6300. If I only cut firewood the 5100 would be the one. It is light and very capable.
Mike P

The 5100 is considered a pro saw. Gooserider had commented that any Dolmar 4 digit saw is considered a pro saw. The 5100 sounds like a great saw and would be my choice for a one saw operation. $400 seems to be a good price for the saw. Amicks advertises it for that amount as well as the dealer I bought my 7900 from.

beagler said:
I'm considering these two saws. Does anyone know the major differences between the two? I've read someplace that the 5100 has a different crankcase (aluminimum or magnesium....I think...) I"m not a mechanic, so I do not understand the big difference here. Any input.

Correct - the 5100 is a magnesium crankcase saw, which is lighter than aluminum. It also has different cylinder porting, and a different coil (higher max RPM). The combined effect is the addition of the better part of a HP, in conjunction with a faster-revving machine. In essence it is a different saw on a similar form factor.

Given the minimal difference in price, I think that choosing the 5100s is a no-brainer.

I paid $379.00 back in May....due to the economy the current price is $399 here in my area.
I highly recommend the 5100s. I've ripped through alot of wood with it since May. I would get the saw with a 3/8 chain setup and just rip away.
The vibration control is top notch....the saw cuts circles around my old 42cc craftsman........Here is how they look on paper:

510 - 3.0 ci.-50 cc.-13,500 rpm-3.2 hp. with a 12.1 lb. powerhead
5100S - 3.1 ci.-50.7 cc.-14,500 rpm-3.9 hp. with a 11.2 lb. powerhead

WoodButcher

My local dealers prices are:
510 for $355 with 18 inch bar and extra chain
5100 for $434

He said the 510 is all I need for firewood. My debate now is what to get. Stihl ms290 locally is $340. This gives me around 55cc, but I'm not sure its rmps.

What makes a saw cut better, the rpms or cc's (assuming the chain is sharp)?

I run a 510 w/ an 18" bar and 3/8" chain for firewood use, and it is enough saw for me. Had a problem with the carb after only 2 hours use (small speck of glue came loose, covered orfice), but my dealer is great and problem was solved under warantee. Since then, I have cut 7 full cord of oak, hickory, and ash, with no truouble. Just keep the chain sharp and it runs like a top. I will say, however, that my neighbor runs the 5100 and it is definitely a better saw...cutting side by side, his saw is by far superior when it comes to cutting times. All things considered, I don't think you'll be disappointed either way, but if money isn't a factor, I'd go with the 5100.

Happy cutting

"What makes a saw cut better, the rpms or cc’s (assuming the chain is sharp)? "
I don't think you can assume that a engine that runs at a higher RPM necessarily has a faster chain speed. The sprockets are probably different diameters which would also play into the speed of the chain. I think more than RPM you should look at horsepower, that is what gives you the power needed to drive the chain. The Dolmars have excellent power to weight ratios, a very nice indicator to a saws performance and owners happiness. The Dolmar 5100 is listed as having 4HP and only weighs little more than 10# which is excellent.

I have the 5100 and it's a very good saw.

It's power/weight ratio is one of the best for 50cc saws made by anyone.

For a difference of $80 I urge you to go with the 5100.

The Dolmar dealer close to me sells the 5100 for $380.00 with a 18" bar and one chain, or he'll sell it to you power head only for 350.00, so you may wish to ask your dealer to sharpen his pencil a bit.

Hi all,

I just wanted to add another vote for the 5100. I went straight from a couple of burned up poulans to the 5100, so I can't compare it to the 510, but I am absolutely thrilled.

I bought the saw about six weeks ago and it was $395 (pre tax) with an 18" bar and .325 chain. My dealer convinced me that 3/8 pitch wouldn't make much difference and since my old saws were .325 I could use all of my old files, etc.

If you are shopping in comparison to Stihl and Husky, be aware of which of those saws are pro grade and which are not. I certainly did not make myself an expert, but to get similar performance in a pro grade saw from either of those well known brands, I would have spent much more than on my 5100.

Good luck with your choice!

Adam

Status
Not open for further replies.