DOLMAR 5100

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The reason for the N number requirement according to the fuel jockey is that some people have been using Avgas in their hot rods and the FED wants to make sure road use taxes are paid if the fuel is used on the highway... I'm all for preventing terrorism but downeast is correct I'm not going to register my saws as aircraft so I can buy a little gas... ;-) A friend of mine buys his for antique tractor pulls to get a little more umph from his 50 horse farmall.. Pulls his tractor right on the tarmac (actually one runway airport) and gasses up. You won't see that at O'Hare Intl.!

Wow! I really hit the jackpot on my first post! I really am not an airport expert I just enjoy being outdoors and cuttin wood. :)

The last canful that I bought from this little airport I had a eye opening conversation with the attendant/fuel jockey/ chief bottle washer about why I "won't" be able to buy my fuel there anymore. I don't recall the entire conversation (It's been a couple of years) but both homeand security regs. were discussed (Although he didn't give me specifics) but, taxes were the main issue. I could still get some if I need it but for me the PITA value was too high.

Anyway back to Dolmar 5100s... After splitting a little firewood this eve. That lightweight saw has got me intrigued :)

downeast said:
slinger said:
I'm thinkin... I was told to use AvGas in my 2165 J-red by my dealer. I did for awhile but it was a PITA to drive 18 miles to the airport to get 5 galllons/time. Now, because of Homeland security the airport is going to require an N number to buy any fuel at all. I've switched back to pump gas and detuned my saw a little and haven't had issues yet. I really like the way that 5100 feels-- light and 14,500 rpm would be fun!

Hey look guys, that "N" is usually on the tail/rudder. So, just solo, get your instrument rating and a private ticket, join AOPA, then you can get all the "AvGas" ( called Aviation Fuel really ) you want. You mean to say that all airports now have real security ? Who woulda known.

Or, as an option, get an N number for your saw. :lol:

It's called AvGas, really.

downeast said:
All fuel is always taxed. So ?
I don't know how taxes are applied in the US of A but here there are different taxes for different things. We even get to pay tax on tax. It is not beyond the realm of possibility that gas sold for cars have a different tax load from avgas.

Anyway... since I don't drive my chainsaw, my splitter, my tractor, my tiller, etc., on the roads, I shouldn't have to pay the excise (road) tax.
http://fuelfocus.nrcan.gc.ca/faq/faq5_e.cfm

Stihl # 1 lol

This thread has gotten out of hand - I'm requesting that it be closed, and I will be deleting several of the last messages...

Gooserider

Bigg_Redd said:
Gooserider said:
This thread has gotten out of hand - I'm requesting that it be closed, and I will be deleting several of the last messages...

Gooserider

The Goose is right.
Agreed, sorry to the people that were involved, Happy New Year!

Status
Not open for further replies.