Dolmar and Husqvarna stated chain pitch is confusing to me

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

John_M

Minister of Fire
Dec 10, 2008
Central NY
In looking at the chain pitch for these two saws I noticed that some chains have a pitch of .325"/3/8". Does this mean that the chain you receive might be a .325" pitch or might be a 3/8" pitch? Or does it mean that each chain has two different pitches; .325" and 3/8"? Or does it mean that there is a printing error in the specifications, which I doubt. The fractional equivalent of .325" pitch is 13/40" pitch. The decimal equivalent of 3/8" pitch is .375" pitch.

Who amongst you can cure my confusion about these pitches. I have not yet done a search seeking enlightenment. It might be almost time for a little Scotch "holy water" without the dilution of other vile liquids.

Best Wishes, John_M

Chain pitch is a way of expressing the distance between drive links. If you measure the distance between centers (or between leading or trailing edges) of three consecutive rivets, and divide that measurement by 2, you'll have your chain pitch. For example (and ver commonly), if you measure 3/4" across three rivets, you have 3/8" pitch chain. It's essential that the chain, the drive sprocket on the power head, and the bar nose sprocket all be of the same pitch. 3/8" pitch and 0.325" pitch are NOT the same, and no chain has more than one pitch. Some of the chain manufacturers, like Oregon, and some of the online retailers, like Baileys, have some great information about saw chain terminology and measurements. As important as the pitch is the gauge. This is the width of the channel in your bar where the chain rides. It's essential that the bar and chain are of the same gauge. .050" is a very common gauge. Go to the Oregon website for some tutorial info, it ain't too bad. Rick

Most smaller (under 60cc) saws can run either .325 or .375 pitch chain. Some people like the .325 better and swear it cuts faster. IMHO .375 is good if your saw can pull it, and I find it easier to file than the .325. To each his own, if you do change from one to the other keep in mind you will need the correct sprocket for the pitch you're running. Rim sprockets change out in seconds (with inboard clutch) and are only a couple bucks!

Yeah, I think maybe all they're trying to tell you in the ad is that you can get the same saw set up either way you want it...it's just a matter of the drive sprocket, the chain, and the nose sprocket all being of the same pitch. Rick

Thank you, Fossil and mobetter. My confusion has now been clarified by your excellent explanations. Now the .325" / 3/8" technical specification makes sense.

Best Wishes, John

Status
Not open for further replies.