Domestic Hot Water using a wood gasification boiler

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jjandnj

Mar 20, 2010
Souheast AK
Can I heat my DHW using my inside electric hot water heater with my outside gasification boiler which is 100 feet away?

If not, what would you suggest?

Yes you could T another zone off of your boiler loop to a side arm hx .

You could alternately use a flat plate heat exchanger to do the same thing, but it would require a potable pump on the DHW side of the plate hx to pump the water through. If you have heat storage (or plan to add it), you should think about a coil hx of some sort so that DHW can come from storage and not require extra pumps. Mine goes through storage year round and we are never without DHW.

Yes. I use a plate HX pretty much year round to make DHW. My setup is a bit unusual, I don't have a tank type water heater to use for storage, I just take DHW directly out of the plate HX with a tempering valve. I get reasonably hot water with storage temps down to 130 or so. There are a bunch of different way to do this, some are more complicated than others. What are you doing for heat in your house (radiant, baseboard, water to air hx, etc)?

We have a three story house. The pipes from the boiler are coming into the basement. The hot water heater is in the basement. We are thinking we will use baseboard heat on the top floors and some type of fan heater in the basement (basement is the entry into the house, has bathroom, two offices and storage room). We need lots of advice. Thank you for your response.

Your system sounds like it needs to be more complicated than mine. I just have a simple loop from my remote gasifier (in an outbuilding) through the pate HX for DHW and through a water-air HX in my furnace plenum. I have it set up to manually valve out the water-air HX in summer months. The circ pump is commanded by the heat thermostat in the house or by a flow switch at the entrance to the DHW plate. It sounds like your system will be more complex, I can't give much useful advice with tying the boiler into your existing system as I don't have any experience with your type of setup.

you have come to the right place to find info. Also I cant help much w your system but be patient and others will chime in and surely help you. I also have a plate hx for DHW and water to air hx in my home. But many answers will be posted to help you..

A sidearm connected to the hot water heater will allow you to run boiler water thru the side arm and pulling water thru the boiler convection. Dpending on the system you might be best served with making this a seperate zone off the boiler or one of several other methods. I only have 1 "zone" that is my HX in the forced air furnace so the sidearm is just in series with the HX and we have a couple valves to shut one or the other off . It's pretty simple and creats aqll the hot water we need.

Status
Not open for further replies.