Done Burning Yet?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr A

Minister of Fire
Nov 18, 2011
N. California
73 here today, 37 last night. I last loaded at 10 pm last night. Windows open taking in evening breeze. This is our fake spring period. a few weeks of warm weather in February, followed by cold wet storms. The girls are out in their short skirts today Just 59 yesterday. I don't think I will need a fire tonight.

It is -4.7 outside right now here.

I had to open this post just to see where you were from.....this looks like what we start seeing on here regularly in mid April but not in February. Forcast for tonight here is 14 and high of 22 tomorrow. I hope to have the saw started no later than 7:30 tomorrow morning......perfect weather for cutting.

I hope to have the saw started no later than 7:30 tomorrow morning......perfect weather for cutting.​

Your not the only on cutting tomorrow. High of 36 tomorrow which is perfect wood cutting weather for us. Going after oak and ash trees Sandy took down in October. Not even close to being done burning yet. Maybe not 24/7 burning from the looks of the forecast after this weekend. I usually burn into the end of April if I get cold

Reactions: ScotO
Teens for the lows this weekend.

Last yr, my last fire was June 3rd (was down to around 40 IIRC?). In Ohio, it can go from 60-70 day temps, to teens and twenties at night. :) Gotta love it.

I'll be cutting and splitting tomorrow morning as well. Still burning 24/7 here

20* & dropping here with a little light snow. Couple inches predicted over night. Switched back to Ash from the Oak till it gets into the teens & single digits again. Usually burn till April or even into May some times. 24/7 burn usually till March. 25* & sun for Sunday, so I'll be out splitting. A C

73° days but don't you need heat at night (37°) ?
Like you said, still some cooler weather for you to get thru before declaring "The end of burn season".
Even in California ;)
Now in Alaska, we're barely 5/7ths thru burn season. Heat from the sun now, but still sub freezing temps for a while yet :)

I hope to have the saw started no later than 7:30 tomorrow morning......perfect weather for cutting.

Your not the only on cutting tomorrow. High of 36 tomorrow which is perfect wood cutting weather for us. Going after oak and ash trees Sandy took down in October.

I'd be cutting too if I could get to the wood. Have fun.
Be looking & searching though.
Great cutting time, with good temps & no bugs :)

60 deg. F. and a beautiful light breeze day here today, a "one day wonder" they are calling it on the news. Windows were open, tarps were off the firewood, and fire was out all day. I was outside for most of the day doing spring repairs and yardwork early. It will chill down tomorrow as another weak storm rolls through. Supposedly the jet stream is heading to So Cal next week, so we will have light weather here during that time; rain every other day and no rain between. It is 38 now, likely to get to about 34 tonight. Fire is back on now.

Re-commence winter.

I am still burning. We have had a few warm days this month, but I kept burning on principle. I plan to burn thru March whether I need to or not. If we stop burning before April, global warming will have won.

I think shoulder season is officially upon us. 50s during the day 40s at night. It was clear, sunny and 60deg yesterday.

Around here, we figure on doing lots of burning yet in March. Occasionally we'll get a warm March, like last year but it is not uncommon for night temperatures down to zero and sometimes below. Sort of dislike those nice few warm days we have in March because it is almost always followed by cold and it always feels worse after having some warm days.

Temperature seemed to be falling this afternoon. 1-3" snow predicted for us but the sun was shinning most of the time. Great day to cut wood but when I came out into the open, that little breeze was cold!

Reactions: Locust Post
I didn't burn last night, 40's overnight. I did start a fire this morning, no reloading. 67 today, low 40's predicted for tonight, and a week of storms for next weeks forecast. Usually there will be some tree blossoms mid Feb. from the fake spring, I haven't seen any yet this year.

My plums are poking out a few blossoms now, but the rain and cold today will likely shut that activity down. 41 F. for a high today, down from 61 F. yesterday.

I used to live in north Jefferson State! Too bad WWII ended that possibility.

Teens for the lows this weekend.

Last yr, my last fire was June 3rd (was down to around 40 IIRC?). In Ohio, it can go from 60-70 day temps, to teens and twenties at night. :) Gotta love it.

You got that right Dexter.

Reactions: DexterDay
Teaser thread! Lots more burning here! Cheers!

22 degrees F here and it has'nt been much warmer all day. Got about 4" - 5" of snow from about 4:30 am to 2:00 pm. Will be burning for some time to come.

I think we're done for the year. My target temp is usually 40 degrees. If it's 40 or lower I'll get a fire going at night. One night this week Might be 41 but rather than mess with it for one night. However, I'm going to try to tackle that huge Water Oak out back that I've been putting off. I want to get it done while working temps or mild. I don't like working the wood when it's 100 degrees outside.

Not done here yet. 49* today, low of 25* tonight, high of 25* tomorrow, and a low of 12* tomorrow night. Think we got at least a few weeks left. Of course who the heck knows. Two weeks ago we saw 62* and 4* within a 48 hour period. That makes heating with a wood stove a bit challenging. :confused:

I always figure on burning most of March and a good portion of April . . . but around this time of year the fires start to get smaller and I do more cold loads and start ups . . . using up my stash of Super Cedars.

25 yesterday, 7 this morning, 30 right now. Not done yet, but they say 40's by the weekend. Just a few weeks left.

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
We may even see 50 this weekend! It's fast approaching that time of year that I wish my boiler had around 1000 gal. of storage hooked to it. Oh well, I guess I'll need to tap into that 2nd tank of propane for my torch. We normally are burning into mid or late April.

Still have easily another month to go. 73* :eek: ... some years it barely hit that as a high all sumer.

Could have sworn I responded to this one, but I guess not.
No, not done yet. Maybe 8-10 weeks from now.
Forecast was 8 last night, but when I got up this a.m., the temp outside the kitchen was -3.
I hadn't prepared for that and the house was......chilly.
Dang those crazy weather guys/gals.>>

Status
Not open for further replies.