Done Deal

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TJC

Jan 13, 2013
Lancaster, NH
Well, as soon as we drop a check off anyway. LOL

As you know I'm a newbie here and had a few questions concerning pellet stoves etc.

We have decided to change it a bit from the original idea of putting a larger stove downstairs and hoping to heat the upstairs with floor registers and stairway.

Final decision is to put an Enviro Empress FS stove in the Man Cave which is 1200 sq ft.
Upstairs we are going to put an M55 FPI to replace the gas insert we currently have and only use as a supplemental on occasion type thing.

Hopefully we'll have everything installed within the next 2 weeks.

Only issue we have with the FPI is that the opening is taller than the stove trim. So we will need to add a plate inside the opening to fill the gaps in the corners. Not a big problem.

Congrats!! As Always, it didn't really happen until the pics show-up here....LOL.

Don't forget the all important surge protectors for both units....and good ones!

nice choices, I like the M55 especially, it'll melt your face off on high (slight exaggeration).

X2 on surge protector and do read the manuals...pretty pictures.

TJC....You made a great decision. If your original plan was to put one big stove downstairs in the "man cave" and use that stove to heat the upstairs as well, then going with two stoves is the right move. Your man-cave would have quickly become your "sweat shop" as even with floor registers, it would have been unbearable to be down there. Now, you can run the two stoves independantly and you will have much more control over the temps on the different levels. Kudos!

congratulations on your purchase and like Imacman said make sure you have a good surge protector for your stoves not a power strip here is a great device that is cheap with a life time warranty http://www.tripplite.com/en/products/model.cfm?txtModelID=3980 if you go to www.thefind.com and put this in you can search a bunch of sites to get you the best price. make sure you take pictures and post them before and after.

I don't think you will regret that plan. Can enjoy the man cave with out it being a sauna but still have good direct heat upstairs.

Congrats TJC. You'll enjoy that setup much.

Congrats.....A good plan I think. Now, buy about 4 tons of the brand of pellets you can see in Eatonpcat's photo.

Funny you said that Chain, I was going to ask about pellets. I know different stoves might burn diff pellets better etc. I've also learned that good pellets are better than bad for heat, dirt etc.

But what kind are those pellets in his post? Can't see them well and I don't know the pkging yet. LOL

My dealer carries Curran pellets. Any opinions on them? Soft, hard, blend?????

Thanks again.

I would suggest seeing what is available in your area and try a few bags of each before you take the ton plunge.

I'm burning lignetics (green label) and cheat creek (from lowes) this year. The lignetics were 235 a ton and the cheat river goes for 209, of course you should be using the 10% off any pay 188 a ton. Anyway, given the price difference they pretty much burn the same in my stove. Check here and woodpellettreviews.com for reviews.

Edit cheat river, not creak...

Mr Spock, I would agree except that they are giving me the 2 tons with the pkgs. They suggested starting with the blend, 80 hard/20 soft.
They will give me whatever I want and will even exchange them later if I find one working better than the other.

I was wondering though which ones are in eastonpcat's profile pic. ??????

Congrats! Nice Stoves!

Congrats TJC. Every sutuation is different & in my case I went with Enviro MAXX-M in the basement.
With 9F outside, I am able to keep upstairs @74F (my wife has a blood disorder,have to keep her
warm).

ekarlis,

We change out minds and plans midstream as I just didnt want the Man Cave to become a sweatbox and unusable. LOL
I'm sure with the M55 we would have gotten heat upstairs but the downstairs would have been waaaay too hot for me to sit in.

Looking forward to the units being in next Wed and cranking them up. Tired of hearing the oil burner working. Especially this AM with the temp currently -18 with a WC of approx -32.

Status
Not open for further replies.