Done for now!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
SolarAndWood said:
LL's stack around the pile keeps it looking much more tidy if appearances are an issue...
I have another theory on that besides good looks. A regular sloped pile is too aerodynamic and as such the air tends to just skim over the top. A pile with stacked sides presents itself as a vertical face to the wind and as such the wind is channeled into the stack. The same stacked sides reduce the amount of sprawl so the core closer to the ground is not as far from the surface and the wind more apt to reach it.

I am up over 12 ft in the center and the sprawl has definitely become an issue. I want that area to hold 4-5 years of wood, so the sprawl will have to be addressed at some point.

Backwoods Savage said:
Wendell, you should be able to stack 3 rows together and still have them season okay as long as it is in the stack 2 years. I've even stacked it much deeper than that with no problems. We have one stack right now that has 14 rows; but they have been there for about 5 or 6 years.

I had posted this picture before as this is how I have 2010/11 stacked.

IMG_2463.jpg

The stack is now actually twice as big and I stacked a row of pallets vertically in the middle to allow airflow and this is how I am considering stacking my third year. Will that space created by the pallets get enough air to the center?

wendell said:
The stack is now actually twice as big and I stacked a row of pallets vertically in the middle to allow airflow and this is how I am considering stacking my third year. Will that space created by the pallets get enough air to the center?

I like the wire fence especially with the kids. Is it 4'? How long are the stacks? Could a kid pull the fence over if they climbed it in the middle?

That fence reminds me of some pics I saw a while back of huge round corn bins full of wood. I couldn't find the pics that were posted here but here is a small empty corn bin.

164161528_898f91d918.jpg

Think 4-5 years would fit in there?

I know a fellow that tried the corn crib system. His was only two rings intsead of the three ring above. Ran his wood up a hay/grain elevator and filled it full. Started trying to access his wood & soon found whenever he pulled a stick loose, it rained splits on top of him in a VERY dangerous manner. Wound up putting a ladder up & cutting a hole in the side then hand throwing his wood out. The old boys ankles were a sight to see. Even with boots on during the unloading all that shifting wood bruised & cut him up badly. IIRC, when spring finally arrived he was about half way down the bottom ring and offered the wood free to anyone who'd take it.

SolarAndWood said:
wendell said:

I like the wire fence especially with the kids. Is it 4'? How long are the stacks? Could a kid pull the fence over if they climbed it in the middle?

The fence is 6' tall and the stack is about 14" long, now about 7' deep and it was 6' tall but now closer to 5'. The openings are pretty small so I would think that it would be difficult to climb. If you notice the ropes, they now connect the front and back to help secure it.

Stephen in SoKY said:
I know a fellow that tried the corn crib system. His was only two rings intsead of the three ring above. Ran his wood up a hay/grain elevator and filled it full. Started trying to access his wood & soon found whenever he pulled a stick loose, it rained splits on top of him in a VERY dangerous manner. Wound up putting a ladder up & cutting a hole in the side then hand throwing his wood out. The old boys ankles were a sight to see. Even with boots on during the unloading all that shifting wood bruised & cut him up badly. IIRC, when spring finally arrived he was about half way down the bottom ring and offered the wood free to anyone who'd take it.

Now that's a good lesson for someone else to learn for you. A lot of the farmers around here use corn bunks built with those 6x2x2 interlocking concrete blocks on a slab. They are nice because they drive on top of the banks on either side and easily unload from the fields. Then, they can access with a payloader or skidsteer from the ends. Thinking maybe a modified version with the concrete blocks on one side and a cage like they have in warehouses on the other might be the trick. It would probably double the amount I currently get in the heap and I could still run the tractor in from the side in the fall. I vaguely recollect from an earlier phase of life that those cages can withstand the abuse of forklifts pretty well, so wood being tossed and my tractor shouldn't be too bad.

wendell said:
SolarAndWood said:
wendell said:

The fence is 6' tall and the stack is about 14" long, now about 7' deep and it was 6' tall but now closer to 5'. The openings are pretty small so I would think that it would be difficult to climb. If you notice the ropes, they now connect the front and back to help secure it.

Thanks...my shed is 30+' long and I stack 8-9 ft high. Although the two rows get leaned against the back wall and the kids are good about staying away from it, I think something like your solution may be prudent.

I told myself tonight that I shouldn't cut down the big white ash I was looking at. Needless to say, it is now sitting in a pile waiting to be split. I think I might have a problem!

Status
Not open for further replies.