DONE! For the season...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gibson

Apr 29, 2008
Lincoln, RI
Just looked at the 15 day forecast. I'm calling it for this year. Wood is coming off of the porch tomorrow, back out to the wood stack. Summer is here.

Don't know if I call it summer, it's starting to look better though. I'm giving myself to the 31st then I think I'm calling it no matter what! Well unless we get a chilly/damp/rainy day and I need to take the chill out. :lol:

I'm torn right now 55* outside currently, low of 42* tonight 70* main level 74* upstairs. I think I'm going to pass on a fire tonight and have a morning fire to take the chill out if need be.

I just awoke to a fresh sloppy layer of snow. Stoves going for a few weeks yet.

Definitely an interesting time when it comes to heating with wood. House chilly yesterday morning (~ 63deg), so fired up the stove. By 2pm, sun out, stove still pouring out the heat, and house at 79deg - wife not happy and opening windows! I'm getting very close to using oil to take the chill out in the morning - that's about all we need now. BUT....I REALLY don't want to hear the burner kick on - I'll probably just end up burning more wood..........Cheers!

No. Not done just yet. Actually we rarely call it quits before a week into June. The nights can get pretty darned cold.

Sen. John Blutarsky said:
Just looked at the 15 day forecast. I'm calling it for this year. Wood is coming off of the porch tomorrow, back out to the wood stack. Summer is here.

I've said that about four times this spring. I think I'll stop saying it or I'll end up burning in August at this rate.

If I were you guys in Michigan, I wouldn't be calling it yet either. May 15, in Southern New England, we plant our tomato plants. This week, when it was headed for 35 degrees overnight, it was still 68* in the house. I fired it up, just because...

We're not going much below the high forties anytime in the next fifteen days, taking us to Memorial Day. I need to convert the patio from a wood storage site to a screened-in, music playing, cocktail consumption site!

"BrowningBAR"
I've said that about four times this spring. I think I'll stop saying it or I'll end up burning in August at this rate.

Welcome to my world. :)

Thought I had called it "Done" too. Raining for the last twenty four hours and in the mid-fifties and supposed to be the same until Wed. Looked at the heater and then looked at the 30 and the wood left in the rack inside and said the hell with it.

The 30 is full of fire at the moment. Doesn't really need to be. It just is.

Four seasons with this thing and I still can't get over that beautiful unobstructed view of the fire in it. Had glass in the doors of my stove for thirty years but never a view like this.

We might be done...but I thought that about this same time last year, and then about froze in my shop trying to get the little Century back in working order. As Pete Townshend said, "Won't Be Fooled Again". We're not burning, haven't been for a couple or three weeks...but I'm gonna give it a few more weeks before I disable either stove. Rick

fossil said:
We might be done...but I thought that about this same time last year, and then about froze in my shop trying to get the little Century back in working order. As Pete Townshend said, "Won't Be Fooled Again". We're not burning, haven't been for a couple or three weeks...but I'm gonna give it a few more weeks before I disable either stove. Rick

I won't even ask why or how you "disable" a stove. You being an engineer I am sure that there is a process involved. :cheese:

Maybe decommission...

BrotherBart said:
fossil said:

I won't even ask why or how you "disable" a stove. You being an engineer I am sure that there is a process involved. :cheese:

Maybe decommission...

Perhaps I should have said temporarily disable. By "disabling" the stove (system), I mean stuff like removing baffle bricks, perhaps some other bricks that need attention, removing the chimney cap, maybe a short section of Class A with it, removing the door and disassembling it to replace gaskets...all that sort of stuff. Disables the system...temporarily out of service (can't fire it up). In my case last year, the situation was exacerbated by having to wait on parts. BTW, when you say "decommission" to a sailor, you mean store it, sell it, scrap it, or sink it. :shut: Rick

fossil said:
BTW, when you say "decommission" to a sailor, you mean store it, sell it, scrap it, or sink it. :shut: Rick

I know. I knew that would get a reaction. :coolgrin:

Have a great High Desert summer Cap.

You have a great summer too, my soldier friend. :coolsmile: Memorial Day is almost upon us again. Time to reflect & remember. Be well. Rick

BrotherBart said:
Looked at the heater and then looked at the 30 and the wood left in the rack inside and said the hell with it.

Was trying to hold off lighting up. Looked at the thermostat, weather.com, the full bin of wood and figured what the heck! Just finished burning down some kindling and tossed in a few splits. Tomorrow looks cool along with tomorrow evening after that I "might" be good for a while.

north of 60 said:
"BrowningBAR"

Welcome to my world. :)

And..... high of 51 tomorrow with the low in the the lower 40s. Probably will have a fire in the evening.

fossil said:
You have a great summer too, my soldier friend. :coolsmile: Memorial Day is almost upon us again. Time to reflect & remember. Be well. Rick

This will be the first in the last ten years I didn't ride in the Memorial Parade in DC. Alas, my pilot friend from the old unit that got his ass shot off with me one day in Phu Hep has moved to Nebraska and took the 64 Mustang we rode in the parade, with General Franks one year, with him.

Gonna miss the show this year.

Be safe sailor.

i had a fire last night.
just when i think im done,. it gets cold out at night.
that and my great dane loves it when i have fires.
its hilarious, in the middle of winter when it is cold out, she will do her business in the morning, and as soon as i let her in, she bee lines it for the stove to warm up. sticking her snout right in front of the blower. then does a slow rotation in front of the stove to warm every side of her body...

I sure figured we were done here in SE Michigan, but I had to take the chill off the house last night before I went to bed. All I had ready to go was some red oak, so I threw 3 splits in about 9, and when we got up at 530 this morning, believe it or not, still had a decent bunch of coals. I hate this time of year, too hard to keep even temps!

I was debating because it is raining out and 50 degrees but nawwww, We have sweat shirts and comforters to keep us warm, Weather is supposed to warm up to upper 70 to 80 by Friday. The stove doesn't get fired up unless it is 40 ish out.

No fire in a couple of days now . . . but I'm still holding off on the final cleaning. My wife still mentions about being cold . . . until I point out that the temp on the wall thermostat is reading 66, 68 or 70 degrees . . . I tell ya, after running the stove 24/7 for several months now a person gets used to simply seeing, hearing and feeling the fire and when those sensations are taken away it's almost as if our mind thinks the body is cold.

Headed down into the 20's (F) tonight with rain early, turning to sleet/snow. This is why I don't plan on stove maintenance/flue cleaning until late June/July. Springtime is interesting. Near 80°F one day, barely 50°F the next. Rick

ETA: Shop stove's been burning pretty much every day recently. We'd gotten lazy (tired) of burning the house stove, and used the electric furnace in the mornings...but I just fired up the Lopi again.

fossil said:
Headed down into the 20's (F) tonight with rain early, turning to sleet/snow.

Ouch! Our 10 day looks like upper 70's/low 80's for daytime and upper 50's/lower 60's for night. I have my fingers crossed that I'm done for a while. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.