Done for the Winter....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

StormPanic

Oct 16, 2012
Merrimack Valley, MA
Bad planning on my part this winter. Ran out yesterday. So sick of calling stores every morning, price gouging and rationing. Just going to heat with oil until spring. Will prepare better next winter. Anyone else giving up or did everyone else prepare better than I did??

Bad planning on my part this winter. Ran out yesterday. So sick of calling stores every morning, price gouging and rationing. Just going to heat with oil until spring. Will prepare better next winter. Anyone else giving up or did everyone else prepare better than I did??[/quote
Keep working the phone, I've been for two weeks, finally got enough for the next 3 weeks or so. I also planned VERY bad , lesson learned !!

I always try to have one ton more than I've used on average. I also don't have any challenges storing it for the summer. One thing about winter is that it is never the same as it was the year before. For the past two years, we've had relatively mild temps. This year we got hammered.

The nice thing about pellets is that if they are stored properly, there really isn't any issue with hanging on to them for a year or two.

If you have space, a small shed for pellet storage could pay for itself in a year like this year.

I always try to have one ton more than I've used on average. I also don't have any challenges storing it for the summer. One thing about winter is that it is never the same as it was the year before. For the past two years, we've had relatively mild temps. This year we got hammered.

The nice thing about pellets is that if they are stored properly, there really isn't any issue with hanging on to them for a year or two.

If you have space, a small shed for pellet storage could pay for itself in a year like this year.
A small second shed is part of my plan. Its a matter of if I build, have it build it or buy one from The Shed Place. We have one from there now but the pellet shed would be much smaller. Really bulk would be ideal though. Not sure I can get bulk deliveries here.

Last edited:
Really bulk would be ideal though. Not sure I can get bulk deliveries here.

Take a look at Pellergy's website. They list a few bulk delivery companies.

Bad planning on my part this winter. Ran out yesterday. So sick of calling stores every morning, price gouging and rationing. Just going to heat with oil until spring. Will prepare better next winter. Anyone else giving up or did everyone else prepare better than I did??
Have about 2-3 weeks left. Have exactly what I burned last year. Usually close down around the second week in April. Didn't stock up this year. Got caught as a lot did with the cold. Planning on stocking up early this year.

I buy an entire season's worth all at once. I have 1 1/2 tons left currently. I've used 3 so far. I estimate ill use probably an additional 3/4 ton this season. I've got sufficient surplus that I've offered a few locals some bags to help hold them over.

We are in the same boat. Not sure I will run around anymore. Will see today about pellets..coming at 3 and 15 bag limit at $6.00 a bag. We do have just under 3/4 tank of oil. Lesson learned here..buy 4 ton over the spring and summer.

We have a few more storms coming winter is no done yet.. I need another 1/2 ton at least....maybe more
Here on Cape Cod we could get a random mid 20's degree night into April ( we may or we may not) and very raw days too. My B-day is April 9th I've seen 11 inch snow storms on years like this one then. bUt the snow is gone a week later at least. The bay is only 36 degs right now, get a north wind and that's air conditioning in the spring time here. Fog, drizzle, grey is not uncommon here for spring time for days on end.. It's rare we get one of those beautiful springs everyone waits for so but lawns, gardens of flowers don't really know the difference. The flip side of that is the sun is warmer already when it's out ! Fall by far is our nicest season here, then the bay is warm and hasn't cooled yet. Anyway, looking forward to pellets in the shoulder season to warm the overnights but it won't be the end of the world then if we have to burn oil. I don't consider March part of the shoulder season here, it's just moderated winter. But fall can go on and on !!

Won't burn oil here always by enough pellets during summer for next season
had just under a ton left last spring bought 4.5 tons in the summer have just over 2 tons left now
will burn another 30 to 35 bags before end of season . No shortage here

called my dealer today and they are getting 18 tons in by tomorrow morning. Ten bag limit and they are only selling to their already established customers. I think i'll be ok, but my inlaws are almost out. We are going to wait in line for pellets...reminds me of iphone launches, except 1000X less exciting (and I dont wait in line for that either)

Reactions: Arnold18
We are in the same boat. Not sure I will run around anymore. Will see today about pellets..coming at 3 and 15 bag limit at $6.00 a bag. We do have just under 3/4 tank of oil. Lesson learned here..buy 4 ton over the spring and summer.

Sounds like you talked to Reading Lumber.

I got 2 pallets left out of 6, so I am OK for the rest of the season. I have just under half a tank of oil, so got that too when and if it gets below 0F by the end of the season.

Will be getting my stash in early again this year.

3.99 a gallon for me in CT

3.99 a gallon for me in CT

I assume that is #2 oil which is about 138,500 btu/gal

138,500 btu/gal x 80% efficiency=110800 BTU/gal

110,800/$3.99=27769Btu// dollar
$6.00 per bag of pellets =40lbs x 8000 btu= 320000 x 80%=256,000 BTU
256,000/$5=51,200btu/dollar

Damn that oil is almost costing you 2 x pellets, if you get pellets for $5 a bag...
;sick

I assume that is #2 oil which is about 138,500 btu/gal

138,500 btu/gal x 80% efficiency=110800 BTU/gal

110,800/$3.99=27769Btu// dollar
$6.00 per bag of pellets =40lbs x 8000 btu= 320000 x 80%=256,000 BTU
256,000/$5=51,200btu/dollar

Damn that oil is almost costing you 2 x pellets, if you get pellets for $5 a bag...
;sick

That's why we get get a little upset when we hear the oil furnace kick on!

Reactions: hyfire
My convection blower crapped out on me so my stove was out of commission for almost three weeks. On top of that I always try to buy enough to have an extra half ton left at the end of the burning season. Right now I have just about a ton left so I am in good shape.

Last edited:
Decided to burn oil tonight as just got home a while ago from a trip to Phippsburg Maine.
3 zones heating,
Basement hang out / work area has risen from 52.2 to currently 61.6 (very sensitive thermometer)

That's just plain Dirty and unhealtthy........read this article on oil..not in your area but you get the idea

Ha Ha Ha ... Good one!

That article talks about #6 Bunker Oil which is so thick that you have to pre-heat it to get it to flow and atomize at the injector nozzles.

It's used in power plant boilers and some old buildings where the boilers haven't been upgraded since WW2.

The article is slanted to the Green-Nazi bias, and the very first written FACT they claim is that lighter oils (#1 or #2) have more energy content.

WRONG. The real fact is that #6 has about 8% more BTU per gallon and it is about 15% cheaper, that's why the power companies still burn that crap.

I hate it when the Green Crazies take a really strong argument and make themselves look like smuks.

If you have trouble sleeping read this:

http://www.edf.org/sites/default/files/10071_EDF_BottomBarrel_Ch3.pdf

Reactions: Big E and hyfire
Ha Ha Ha ... Good one!

That article talks about #6 Bunker Oil which is so thick that you have to pre-heat it to get it to flow and atomize at the injector nozzles.

It's used in power plant boilers and some old buildings where the boilers haven't been upgraded since WW2.

The article is slanted to the Green-Nazi bias, and the very first written FACT they claim is that lighter oils (#1 or #2) have more energy content.

WRONG. The real fact is that #6 has about 8% more BTU per gallon and it is about 15% cheaper, that's why the power companies still burn that crap.

I hate it when the Green Crazies take a really strong argument and make themselves look like smuks.

If you have trouble sleeping read this:

http://www.edf.org/sites/default/files/10071_EDF_BottomBarrel_Ch3.pdf

Good call, you live in NY, its all nasty isn't it..........especially #6:mad:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.