Done for the Winter....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My annual purchase of 8 tons is gone today. My supplier has a trailer that can carry 4 tons at a time and he gives me a special delivery price if I buy 4 tons at a time, cuz I can unload them with my Kubota and its forks in a few minutes. I did order 4 more tons and had to wait because of the cold winter an the rush on pellets, but he will come through on Tuesday and deliver the 3!!! I was happy to respond to his request to keep a ton to sell for those who won't make it through March without a extra bags. I don't need that much to get me through, but only ordered the 4 to cut my transport costs. I think 2 tons will get me to the end. Hopefulliy.

Reactions: chken
My annual purchase of 8 tons is gone today. My supplier has a trailer that can carry 4 tons at a time and he gives me a special delivery price if I buy 4 tons at a time, cuz I can unload them with my Kubota and its forks in a few minutes. I did order 4 more tons and had to wait because of the cold winter an the rush on pellets, but he will come through on Tuesday and deliver the 3!!! I was happy to respond to his request to keep a ton to sell for those who won't make it through March without a extra bags. I don't need that much to get me through, but only ordered the 4 to cut my transport costs. I think 2 tons will get me to the end. Hopefulliy.
Nice to have a dealer who will work with you

Reactions: SmokeEater
I bought 8 tons last spring and had them delivered in early September ... had my pellet insert installed in late October. I've gone through just under 3 tons, but haven't been able to use the insert for the past week and a half (aaggggh) -- the dealer is coming on Thursday to fix. Not a happy camper at the moment. I am going to have him walk me through EVERYTHING again instead of just saying "read the manual." I've already cleaned it like one of his workers did (step by step, exactly the same) but it didn't fix it, so clearly I must have missed SOMETHING.

Anyway, enough bitching. I bought 8 tons figuring they would last me 1.5 to 2 years. I will likely go through another ton so will have a lot left for next winter (but will buy more). I offered my tenants some at my cost (they have a pellet furnace) but luckily their order came in before they ran out. This is their first New Hampshire winter -- I have tried to reassure them that it's been a very, very odd one!

I've been using oil (ugh) but keeping the thermostat in the low 50s (I usually sleep with it on mid-50s anyway), then I have a little space heater on in whatever room I'm in. Makes more sense than heating the whole house. I will likely end up using 200 gallons of oil this winter instead of the 100 that I'd hoped for, but it can't be helped.

Bad planning on my part this winter. Ran out yesterday. So sick of calling stores every morning, price gouging and rationing. Just going to heat with oil until spring. Will prepare better next winter. Anyone else giving up or did everyone else prepare better than I did??

I have one bag left which I waited over an hour to get 5 of! Yeah Im done, filled up the tank and im burning it! First full season with the stove so I know I need 5 tons for next year. Lesson learned.

Status
Not open for further replies.