Done Lurking, time to join

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kettensäge

Feeling the Heat
Jan 18, 2011
N.E. PA.
Hi guy's,
I have been reading these boards for about a year and a half. I figure it was time to join. I have learned a lot here about wood burning. I got my start back in '78 or so when my dad brought home a Fisher grandma bear stove. We heated the house with that sucker and generated tons of creosote at the same time. My dad ran the stove and like a lot of older folks, burnt green wood with out a lot of airflow. Yes we had the Magic heat stack heater and 35' of masonry chimney to go along with it.
Fast forward to 2001, my wife and I bought a house in the woods with a fireplace insert. I burned up the 2 cords or so that the seller left and was cutting wood in February that year. It was cold and expensive, PA is not the place for heat pumps. Anyway, through the years I made improvements to the house, learned how to run the stove, sharpen chains, cut, haul, split, and stack.

I have learned the finer points here, and now, having enough hot coals in the morning to refire the stove is now the norm rather than the exception. My latest project is to convert the blower to 12 VDC to be able to run it easily during power outages and to quiet it down.

Thanks to all of you who have shared your experience and expertise, this is one of the best forums on the net.

kettensäge said:
Hi guy's,
I have been reading these boards for about a year and a half. I figure it was time to join. I have learned a lot here about wood burning. I got my start back in '78 or so when my dad brought home a Fisher grandma bear stove. We heated the house with that sucker and generated tons of creosote at the same time. My dad ran the stove and like a lot of older folks, burnt green wood with out a lot of airflow. Yes we had the Magic heat stack heater and 35' of masonry chimney to go along with it.
Fast forward to 2001, my wife and I bought a house in the woods with a fireplace insert. I burned up the 2 cords or so that the seller left and was cutting wood in February that year. It was cold and expensive, PA is not the place for heat pumps. Anyway, through the years I made improvements to the house, learned how to run the stove, sharpen chains, cut, haul, split, and stack.

I have learned the finer points here, and now, having enough hot coals in the morning to refire the stove is now the norm rather than the exception. My latest project is to convert the blower to 12 VDC to be able to run it easily during power outages and to quiet it down.

Thanks to all of you who have shared your experience and expertise, this is one of the best forums on the net.

Welcome to the forum Ket! It's about time you joined in after all that lurking lol... Sounds like you have a good handle on everything!

Ray

Welcome to the Big Tent. Looks like you have the tools to go with the habit. After watching the site for so long, there probably isn't much to warn you about (well, other than some of the characters around here, ya gotta watch out for them. :) )

Again - Welcome.

How did you make it that long without being able to see all the pictures. It would of drove me nuts.

Thanks all for the warm welcome.
Jags: I inherited the farm boss after my father passed, he bought it new in '82. He also had a Skill, can't remember the model, and an Echo 302, the Echo was a good saw also. The Farm Boss is a great saw, just won't die. I would like to get a 360/361 someday. I don't cut much with the Mac, a neighbor gave it to me along with the original owners manual, was going to toss it. I got it running and used it a few times for pruning. It has an 8" non sprocket bar and the chain needs to be replaced. I run it a little once in a while to just to hear the sounds it makes.

Cre: It did bother me sometimes but it wasn't a big deal. I'm not much of a forum/social networking type but this place seems to be filled mostly with mature, sensible individuals who respect each other. Hopefully I will be able to offer some help to the next generation of "Newbies"

I will post some pic's soon of my set up. I don't think my insert is an EPA type, was manufactured in '89. There are no secondary air tubes. Just a baffle that loosely blocks the flue in the top of the firebox and an air control on each door. If I get it just right the flames roll and curl around slowly and sometimes are bluish purple. Secondary burn?
I primarily burn oak and ash, 4 -5 cords a year, all scrounged, seasoned 2 yrs minimum.

Welcome to the forum kettensäge.

Be sure to also check the Wood Shed part of this forum.

Welcome to the Nut House. ;)

thought the restraining order was in place to keep the lurkers out......just kidding, of course. Welcome aboard and hold on for a wild ride.

Welcome aboard!
Advice on this forum:
1) Don't listen to Jags or to Delta t. I think they are only here looking for human hosts for their alien squishy bits.
2) The Cat burners are planning an uprising and I fear will go to war with us secondary burners any time now. Make sure you have an extra heavy poker for defense... unless you are one of those dirty Cat burners...
3) The "Pellet people" lay low only because they think they can inherit the scorched earth left after the Cat/2ndary war. Trust them not.
4) Green roomers are way too high to pose any issues, but will scavenge for snacks from time to time; hide your Doritos.

uhh- that's about it. Time for "meds and beds" here. Ooh! green ones today.

Adios Pantalones said:
Welcome aboard!
Advice on this forum:
1) Don't listen to Jags or to Delta t. I think they are only here looking for human hosts for their alien squishy bits.
2) The Cat burners are planning an uprising and I fear will go to war with us secondary burners any time now. Make sure you have an extra heavy poker for defense... unless you are one of those dirty Cat burners...
3) The "Pellet people" lay low only because they think they can inherit the scorched earth left after the Cat/2ndary war. Trust them not.
4) Green roomers are way too high to pose any issues, but will scavenge for snacks from time to time; hide your Doritos.

1)Perhaps the best advice ever given on Hearth.com....wait a second, HEY! thats me. Have a host...looking for subjects.

Adios Pantalones said:
Welcome aboard!
Advice on this forum:

Thanks for the advice, but why would you want to burn a cat? Do they kill them first? Oh wait . . . .Catylist stoves.
I'm pre cat, only thing in the firebox is wood, fire, and ashes.
My ex wife is pellet person. She has already "inherited" enough from me.
I'm not a green roomer either but if thats what they like, OK with me.
My truck doesn't have a cat either, runs better without it.

Posting some pic's in the picture forum in case any one is interested

Status
Not open for further replies.