Done with car swapping ... time for a zero clearence fireplace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Finally sold the last gas rig (taurus wagon). So know we have two diesel rigs, a VW passat TDI wagon and a 2500 sprinter van. The van is getting a veggie oil kit, and in back by the wood piles I am collecting and cleaning veggie oil and creating a biodiesel mfg setup.

Know that I am well on my way in this area its time to start considering my ZC woodstove installation with new 8" chimney. My next big project.

Going up tonight to get a sprinter van and utility trailer full of wood on my 6 cord permit.

If you are planning on heating your home I would go with an epa certified wood stove. It sounds like you are into keeping the world green so there is no better way to heat than with the ultimate renewable resource than wood. Good luck and congratulations on deciding to go wood.

In the state of washington that is all you can put in.

Planning on installing a mangum ZC with 8" Duratech HT chimney. Then a spray on blue granite facade around the woodstove.

BTW ... I have always been a wood hoor. Just the house we have been in for 14 years has a cheap fire place. Been cutting and splitting wood for 30 years, and I am 43. :)

bambam said:
If you are planning on heating your home I would go with an epa certified wood stove. It sounds like you are into keeping the world green so there is no better way to heat than with the ultimate renewable resource than wood. Good luck and congratulations on deciding to go wood.

I love my Magnum ZC fireplace with the MetalFab HT chimney. I easily surpassed the 100 degree temperature differential this past winter. I installed the fireplace at the beginning of December and used absolutely no LP for the rest of the season (burned a little over 3 cords of aspen and birch). My summer project is to put some fake stone around the unit.

Went above hockinson and never had to even start the saw :) . There was still enough wood lying around in 3 to 6 foot logs and log ends that I was able to fill the trailer and part of the sprinter van.

Up to about 4 chords collected so far. Will collect more later this spring and into the fall on east side of mt. hood.

mackconsult said:
In the state of washington that is all you can put in.

Planning on installing a mangum ZC with 8" Duratech HT chimney. Then a spray on blue granite facade around the woodstove.

BTW ... I have always been a wood hoor. Just the house we have been in for 14 years has a cheap fire place. Been cutting and splitting wood for 30 years, and I am 43. :)

bambam said:

Are you sure about that? There are other WA users on here that put in woodstoves.

If you get it inspected it has to be an EPA certified wood stove device. Older wood stoves are grand fathered in, but installing old ones is turned down if you get it inspected.

Not that everyone gets it inspected.

mackconsult said:
If you get it inspected it has to be an EPA certified wood stove device. Older wood stoves are grand fathered in, but installing old ones is turned down if you get it inspected.

Exactly, and Bamban suggested: "If you are planning on heating your home I would go with an epa certified wood stove."

Diggy?

I didnt have time to look about EPA but sure has a mark up on efficiency. Heres the link Zamboni. I gotta get to bed. Got Ice fishin to do in the AM and its starting to get light pretty early. Let us know what ya find. Ya Diggy...?
N of 60 http://www.americanenergysystems.com/magnum_zc.cfm?tabID=1

myzamboni said:
mackconsult said:

Exactly, and Bamban suggested: "If you are planning on heating your home I would go with an epa certified wood stove."

Diggy?

I don't know why you didn't see ..... My original posting states that I am installing a Magnum ZC zero clearence firplace. This is EPA certfified.

OK, let me summarize how I saw this thread:

-You say you are installing a Magnum ZC.

-Bambino suggests a EPA wood stove (I'm assuming free-standing)

-You state you cannot unless it is EPA certified (I was assuming you missed that Bambam said EPA certified) and your statement appeared to suggest that you could only install a ZC

-I point out the Bambam stated EPA certified.

Was just trying to be helpful. I guess it went all wrong.

Didn't mean to start anything with my post. Just thought maybe I had some ideas that could help. Good luck with what every your decide.

bambam said:
Didn't mean to start anything with my post. Just thought maybe I had some ideas that could help. Good luck with what every your decide.

No problem, thanks for looking. The way my house is built (newer) and would not want to just put a "wood stove" in. To hold value of the home I am going to slightly "reframe" my chimney area and put in a magnum ZC (which is basically a wood stove).

Because I want my house insurance to reflect this install it has to be inspected by the state.

There are lots of people in PNW that can buy old woodstoves on craigslist and install them in thier houses. But you can't get away with installing on of these older units in a new build. The state won't let you do that.

Wow I am shocked.

So I called the local retailer down in Salem (Mels Stoves) that can order and receive a magnum ZC. I told them I would drive down and pick it up with my sprinter van.

They quoted me $3400 for the basic unit, that is listed at $2117 which american energy told me would include shipping to my work!! I was floored that they had a $1300 markup.

I told them they were crazy.

Gee- sure that wasn't a quote with an install..............

Ah no ....... they quoted me higher for delivery and they said that I would need to go with one of the recommended installers if I needed to. At the very begining of my conversation with them I told them I would be installing myself.

WoodMann said:
Gee- sure that wasn't a quote with an install..............

Status
Not open for further replies.