Done with the new woodshed

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Shed looks great. How are you going to separate the bark and such from that loose rock in your splitting box?
I won't ever get it all but from time to time when enough accumulates I pick up those pieces and toss them in my kindling crates. Those chips are great for starting fires. I made a large box framed by 2x3's and lined with chicken wire to store and dry those pieces. I also have a few used milk crates that work just as well.

Beautiful country. Love the wide open feel out West.

....but where did all the wood come from? LOL
Lots of forest in N. AZ. Ponderosa pine, piñon pine and juniper, Doug fir, aspen and even a little oak here and there. $5 a cord for a woodcutting permit for dead standing, free for dead and down....national forest all around me. :)It's still the land of the free out here.

All stocked up now or close to it.

Attachments

• IMG_0972.JPG
    IMG_0972.JPG
    242.9 KB · Views: 369
  • IMG_0970.JPG
    IMG_0970.JPG
    261.5 KB · Views: 346
Reactions: mrdinks
Shed looks great. How are you going to separate the bark and such from that loose rock in your splitting box?
By hand.

Lots of forest in N. AZ. Ponderosa pine, piñon pine and juniper, Doug fir, aspen and even a little oak here and there. $5 a cord for a woodcutting permit for dead standing, free for dead and down....national forest all around me. :)It's still the land of the free out here.

I've been out to northern Arizona a few times. Riding with some family to Havasu Canyon for a hiking trip, I dozed off in the middle of a desert interspersed with yucca and scrub brush, and woke up in the middle of a forest somewhere near the South Rim.

As dry as most of Arizona is, it's somewhat surprising to find these forests, but sure enough, I guess the mountains draw enough rain out of the sky to sustain them.

I'd imagine with as sparsely populated as most of the high desert in Arizona is, and how few people seem to heat with wood, there's not too much competition for the dead wood.

I've been out to northern Arizona a few times. Riding with some family to Havasu Canyon for a hiking trip, I dozed off in the middle of a desert interspersed with yucca and scrub brush, and woke up in the middle of a forest somewhere near the South Rim.

As dry as most of Arizona is, it's somewhat surprising to find these forests, but sure enough, I guess the mountains draw enough rain out of the sky to sustain them.

I'd imagine with as sparsely populated as most of the high desert in Arizona is, and how few people seem to heat with wood, there's not too much competition for the dead wood.
There are plenty of trees around Flagstaff and Williams. One of the largest Ponderosa Pine forests there is. Funny when I moved here years ago everyone who heard I was moving here asked me if I liked cactus. LOL. Got tired of explaining the geography of Arizona.

Jeff,

That's a perfect roof design. I've been looking for something like that.
You said you don't have plans. Are you willing to give dimensions for it as in, height at front and back, and peak?
How wide/deep are each of the two roof panels?

Thanks. That's an inspiring design!!!

ksks

Jeff,

That's a perfect roof design. I've been looking for something like that.
You said you don't have plans. Are you willing to give dimensions for it as in, height at front and back, and peak?
How wide/deep are each of the two roof panels?

Thanks. That's an inspiring design!!!

ksks
The dimensions are in the earlier part of this thread. But if you can't find it each of the three bays is 8'x8'. Peak is about 9' high roughly (maybe 8 1/2') and back of the shed about 6'. The overhang was about 20" if I remember correctly.

The dimensions are in the earlier part of this thread. But if you can't find it each of the three bays is 8'x8'. Peak is about 9' high roughly (maybe 8 1/2') and back of the shed about 6'. The overhang was about 20" if I remember correctly.

thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.