Donor Program Update

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Corie

Minister of Fire
Nov 18, 2005
Camp Hill, PA
Well,

Hogwildz and I tore into the second donor installation today. Of course we ran into problems, almost from the start. I didn't know there were power lines ran along the back of the building, so that was the first big ut-oh.

We worked from there, got the thimble, tee, offsets and one length of pipe installed, secured to the wall and ready to go today. I need another 6inch piece of pipe to extend the class A the proper distance into the house to meet code.

Next, we didn't have enough ladder to get all us all the way up onto the roof of the house. There was just no way to do it, and we had went as far as we could for the day. Rob has a long drive home and I have a test tomorrow.

I'm going to purchase the additional piece of pipe, and then rent an extremely long ladder to get myself onto the roof of the house somehow.

I wish I could have taken pictures, but I forgot my camera and the batteries were dead anyhow. I'll update with pictures the next time I make it over there.

With that said, everything that was accomplished today was impossible without Hogwildz. I am not, by any stretch of the imagination, a fan of ladders, let alone when they are stretched quite close to power lines. Hog got all the ladder work taken care of, plus brought tools, and was irreplaceable today.

Can't tell you all, or him, exactly how much his help meant.

-Corie

Sounds like a good day of work , awesome job guys.

Now its ..........." so easy even a "corie" can do it."

Oh and it turns out, Rob isn't as gruff a character as we all think. He likes classical music, long walks on the beach, moonlight dinners and fine red wine.

:p

Corie said:
Oh and it turns out, Rob isn't as gruff a character as we all think. He likes classical music, long walks on the beach, moonlight dinners and fine red wine.

Damn! I think I answered one of his ads!

Hey Corie, call Habitat for Humanity and tell them what you are doing. Ask if you can borrow a ladder. You may be very pleasantly surprised. Chance is you may get a volunteer to help in addition to the ladder. Great folk and program.

Oh, BTW, don't believe any of that stuff, Oprah is spreading all that touchy-feely stuff.

BrotherBart said:
Corie said:

Damn! I think I answered one of his ads!

LMAO BB. :lol: Did you get rejected when you posted your picture?

LOL, yall is !@#$%$##@!@# LMAO
I thought that Englander 30NCL looked familiar in that personal add.
Mr. Mechanical Engineer did pretty good also today. He must be a patient guy, or needed me & the tools badly, cause I got stuck at my friends house. They didn't shovel their driveway, and I got stuck. Spent over an hour chipping 6" of ice down to the black top. Showed up at the designated meeting place 1hr & 25 mins late. And theres Corie & the lil woman. Patiently waiting. Got home about 10:00. On the road for work tomorrow and my arse is wooped. Wrecks everywhere and work pouring in faster then I can get to it.

Corie......... If you get a ladder and can get it there, and can't get help, I'll come back down and do the roof & ladder work. Serious, just lemme know. No big deal.
Try to make it for a Saturday if you can. Have the homeowner ask the neighbors with the decks if we can use their decks to set the ladder on. That way you don't have to rent a ladder, or transport it. If they say yes, tell her to keep her brothers ladders there.
Just give a shout if you need help to finish.
Good luck on yer test.

Neanderthals love ladders :)

What town are you guys working in?

Wow! This sounds like a pretty tough installation (I'm no fan of ladders either) Great job guys! Looking forward to the pics!

Great work guys! I just wish I lived close enough to help.

Warren said:
Corie said:
The city of brotherly love :)

Corie, you ever do any closer to home? Up my way? Any Plans?
Wish he did, PHilly sucks LOL :)

Maybe I'll put out the call that I'd like to help a family up there.

Only problem right now is, I'm out of donation stoves. I need someone else to donate a stove!

Corie said:

Only problem right now is, I'm out of donation stoves. I need someone else to donate a stove!

I think Craig is going to put any extra towards stoves. Two suggestions 1) play on the heart strings of the manufacturers and let them get the publicity rights (which can be priceless) 2) put stuff out on the forum that people (donor and payee) would be willing to put $$$ towards the donation program . . for one Grade A seasoned wood, I'd gladly pay for it. . . .especially from one of the pros 'private stockpiles' . .. ahem 'could I please order a 1/2 cord of black locust with a side of hickory')

You guys are the best,and as far as Hog go's,long walks and red wine????????????

budman said:
You guys are the best,and as far as Hog go's,loong walks and red wine????????????

Hog and Corie could wine and dine the mainline folks (North and West of Filthydelphia), -LOTZA- old money there . . .ok if I'm gonna suggest something then I'll pitch in any way I can . .

Ok Mike. Time to pony up. Send a 13-NC up that way. Hell I hauled a broken 30 down there.

Tell Ron if freight cost is a problem and if the hearth.com bunch won't come up with it that I will.

Corie said:

I have a Feugo Flame insert you can have, but Its not worth it. Its crap when built, & especially now.

Since we've done a few installations now, I think it will help to receive donations from the big companies now that I've shown we're "legit".

Also, Selkirk donated the entire piping system here, so that's already one huge hearth company that has stepped up to the donation plate. Hopefully more will follow.

Don't mean to go OT, but I have a question. Should we have the donors sign some kind of liability waiver. Say, we install a donor stove, and the folks that receive the donation overfire the stove or do something to cause a fire. You know who they are going to come after. Wanting to see permits, etc. Should we have a waiver signed? Should the receiver get a permit? & What about inspections? Not trying to be a bummer, just playing devils advocate. Don't wanna be sued.

A very honest concern and one that I've lost sleep over a few times. Up until now I've chosen to ignore it, although I know that isn't the right COA.

I have alot to lose, house, vehicle, posessions if sued. Of course they will never get my bike :)
It would sure be nice if the manufacturers did recognize us. And see we are for real. Donate stoves, or start their own donor program that each area would have reps in for set up installs etc. And donations for permits & inspections etc. Oh well, guess they have to find us, and prove we installed it. No pay, no receipts. I and the day in question do not exist :)

Status
Not open for further replies.