Dont Burn Boxelder!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've got a half a cord of death to burn this year than... ha!

I'll be honest, the elder that I have was so crappy that I don't think I'd ever take it again, even if it's free!

That stuff was nothing but twists, knots, and crotches.

-SF

I agree SF. I've given all the box elder away over the years. Just don't like the stuff, but would burn it if it were needed.

It's such a gangly tree I considered 'em a nuisance so years ago I cut 'em all down and burned them. Hell I can have 3 good size ash trees gowning or 1 big maple in the area one Boxelder would take up. I'd put 'em in the same category as Popar wood for stove burning. But I'll put up with Popar only cause they grow straight and don't hog the sun. But ever now and them I'll get ruthless with them too but not to the point of extinction.

One good thing about those boxelder trees ...is that they were easy to get rid of, unlike some PITA species.

I can get lots of Boxelder logs down at my city recycling area. Nice and easy to cut up right there and best of all it's free. Also good for the outdoor fire pit.

I picked some wood up a while back it was really light. Not sure if that is Boxelder but everything I've heard
about the stuff I think that is what that wood is.

I burned about a half cord of bexelder last winter. Nice warm fires, low ash content and my chimney is clear.

I was lucky though in that I didn't have to do the splitting since it looked pretty gnarly and stringy.

Status
Not open for further replies.