Don't buy bunnies for Easter (my annual plea)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't buy your kids a rabbit for Easter. Think of the comitment as the same as a dog or cat, because it basically is.

That's a real animal- they have real personalities, can live a long time, and need a lot more than food and a 3x3' cage outside.

Rabbits sitting in a hutch all day- imagine that it was a dog or cat. A rabbit in a hutch is bored all day- they sometimes revert to neurotic behaviors like ripping their own fur out.

If not neutered, a female has 80% chance of getting cancer. Think about it- this is a real critter that might live over 10 years (Mine have lived 11, 12, and the third is 12 and still alive), not a stuffed toy that you can forget about in the back yard.

There are lots of rabbits that need homes, same as dogs that need to be rescued, but you wouldn't keep that rescue dog in a cage the rest of its life, would you? If you have the patience and space in your house- think about a rescue rabbit. Mine were litter trained and funny as heck critters that bounce over for attention.

403259_10150544470647469_19397272468_8999112_475046020_n.jpg

Ya had me going AP - I thought this was gonna be about the chocolate kind. Real rabbits are real critters and don't belong caged up. Had one as a young lad, and took very good care of it.

Good info AP.....not many people realize that about rabbits.....

Your 3 girls are beautiful!.....betcha can't wait to go home from work every day to that! :)

Aw gee, i had my heart set on getting one. She even delivers Easter Eggs!

Attachments

• bunny.jpg
    bunny.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 519
BeGreen said:
Aw gee, i had my heart set on getting one.

:gulp:
Better get two so that they can keep each other company.

Back in the day, I gave two for Easter to my children. Bought them on the way home, as I was working out of town (state) at the time.
They still talk about the surprise and how many good memories they had with them. Especially after they (the rabbits) decided to start their own family!

Would do it again in a heartbeat.

But, if anyone out there gets, them, just take care of them...like any other pet, of course.

We sold/ate a lot of briar beef back in the day. Try it, you'll like it, and teach your kids where meat really comes from.

kenny chaos said:
We sold/ate a lot of briar beef back in the day. Try it, you'll like it, and teach your kids where meat really comes from.

While I wouldn't do it now that I've had them as pets, I have less of an issue with it. I have a problem with neglected pets

Adios Pantalones said:
I have a problem with neglected pets

I hear that!
We turned away a lot of people that wanted pets. They were like some kinda mutants or something (the people,
not our animals).

kenny chaos said:
...briar beef....
:lol: Thanks. That is a new one for me.

I still miss the rabbit sausage we used to make. My wife sometimes talks about getting rabbits again or chickens and I want neither any more. Let someone else take care of them.

Rabbis are on our list of projects...I like the meat.

I currently have 6 (soon to be 9) chicks sitting next to our woodstove in a washtub. 3 meat birds (idiot kid at tsc) 3 red sex links, and I don't know what the other 3 are going to be.

Funny story when we where little my sister had a pet rabbit that died. We being poor and dad not wanting to waste food made stew out of it and didn't tell us till years later. My sister almost threw up and mom well she did ! Funny thing is I like rabbit stew to this day :lol:

Pete

Sorry ! I have a bad habit of that derail thing sorry ! lol

Pete

Adios Pantalones said:
Umm, ya, not exactly the subject guys- LOL

If a thread strays a bit in the inglenook, it's not such a big deal IMO. Just don't like seeing information threads in places like the hearthroom get too off track.

These threads are for "fun"

pen

pen said:
Adios Pantalones said:
Umm, ya, not exactly the subject guys- LOL

If a thread strays a bit in the inglenook, it's not such a big deal IMO. Just don't like seeing information threads in places like the hearthroom get too off track.

These threads are for "fun"

pen

I'm not telling anyone what they can't say- pointing out that a thread on eating rabbits is more than a "little stray" :)

Oh, I think we've strayed well beyond eating rabbits. :ahhh:

simple.serf said:
Rabbis are on our list of projects...I like the meat...

What just happened here this went from rabbit rights to rabbit recipie to rabbi to kosher jokes ! This may be the funniest thread in a while :lol:

Pete

Wascally wabbits!

Wasabi rabbits !!!!! There's the ticket !!

Eat all the males, then there will only be those wascally women wabbis.

But then, what came first.. the wascally wabbis, or the weggs?

Status
Not open for further replies.