don't forget fossil boiler when on wood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TCaldwell

Minister of Fire
Wood is good, actually great but remember to keep the fossil boiler tuned and serviced and on a exercise schedule, otherwise it might not fire when you need it most! Primarily make sure the oil filters are clean, as oil has a tendency to coagulate with other debris in the filter, first hand experience!!!, hopefully most of you are more mindful than i am.

You are right Tom. I may have just did a stupid thing. I was nervous that my fluid in my solar panels was going to freeze last night. I had -14.7*F on the thermo, and my glycol tested out @-12*F. So I just figured that I would activated the low temp circulation. My heat exchanges via a 30 plate heater, Well guess what is on the other side of the hx. Thats right water. I shut the ball valve to prevent circulation on the boiler side but let the panel side run all night, and when I walked into my boiler room the plate exchange is all frosted up. I still got pressure on the panel loop and no water dripping yet. Hopefully it didn't freeze and break inside. I got to get more antifreeze.

Stupid!

TCaldwell said:
Wood is good, actually great but remember to keep the fossil boiler tuned and serviced and on a exercise schedule, otherwise it might not fire when you need it most! Primarily make sure the oil filters are clean, as oil has a tendency to coagulate with other debris in the filter, first hand experience!!!, hopefully most of you are more mindful than i am.

I would imagine this is why AHS states that it's a good idea to "test fire" the oil burner when performing routine cleaning of the Wood Gun.

Status
Not open for further replies.