dont forget to clean your Y strainer [s]

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mike van

Feeling the Heat
Apr 24, 2013
Kent Ct
So with highs only in the 40's yesterday, I brought our Garn to life for it's 3rd winter. Performance was less than I remember though - Wife not happy. Late in the day I took the HX off and flushed it, a little crud came out, but not bad. Now i'm thinking maybe the 17 year old Taco [from our Harman] is failing? We had to go out, so no time to mess with it. Much later, right before bed I remembered the Y strainer on the Garn side of the HX - 5:30 AM i'm out there tasking it apart. Screen was coated with white [calcium] like goo - 10 minutes later, where there was 100 degree water, there was 160. I love the smell of wood smoke in the morning !

So with highs only in the 40's yesterday, I brought our Garn to life for it's 3rd winter. Performance was less than I remember though - Wife not happy. Late in the day I took the HX off and flushed it, a little crud came out, but not bad. Now i'm thinking maybe the 17 year old Taco [from our Harman] is failing? We had to go out, so no time to mess with it. Much later, right before bed I remembered the Y strainer on the Garn side of the HX - 5:30 AM i'm out there tasking it apart. Screen was coated with white [calcium] like goo - 10 minutes later, where there was 100 degree water, there was 160. I love the smell of wood smoke in the morning !

Make sure you do not have a leak somewhere and the system is taking on fresh water. White calcium is usually one indicator of fresh water being added.

If the problem persists consider a dirt separator, they remove dirt and sediment without obstructing the flow.

Status
Not open for further replies.