Don't get your kid a real rabbit for Easter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
We have 3 house rabbits. They run around the basement playing- come up to us for attention and treats. Rabbits that sit in a cage get extremely bored and often rip out hair, develop problems etc- imagine keeping a dog in that cage for 20+ hours a day.

Anyway- they live 10 years if they are spayed. If not- females will likely develop cancer. Our 3 are over 11 now and still peppy.

They need as much hay as they can eat or they can develop serious digestive issues- and they will go through it.

You may read about people using the manure on gardens- rabbit food is just as good, and you skip the bored rabbit in a cage. Rabbit food is cheaper and better in the long run anyways.

If still serious about getting a rabbit- consider adopting a rescue. Learn more at: http://www.rabbit.org/easter/

Can you really train them to use a litter box?

Ours are trained- though one "thinks outside the box" a bit. I think if I was more diligent then he would be better. They'll do anything for raisins.

I use wood pellets for litter- spent pellets, extra hay, poop, etc all gets used as mulch in the garden.

Adios Pantalones said:
Ours are trained- though one "thinks outside the box" a bit. I think if I was more diligent then he would be better. They'll do anything for raisins.

I use wood pellets for litter- spent pellets, extra hay, poop, etc all gets used as mulch in the garden.

Funny, raisins in, raisins out.

Semipro said:
Funny, raisins in, raisins out.

Our rabbit Topaz sometimes used to eat his poo.
Rabbits have a very short digestive system and often "send food round twice"......... :)

Ya, they are lagomorphs. They produce "cecal pellets" that they send back through. Their digestive system really is "active"- thus the importance to feed them right, provide hay, etc. That digestion stops and it's all over.

Status
Not open for further replies.