1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
  1. ScotO

ScotO Guest

AMEN Gasifier! I couldn't agree more! I'm totally sick of TV. And E.W., I think the above comments by other posters speak volumes of the man you are, so I would say stick around. Your insight, knoweledge and general help are somewhat rare in this world anymore. This place needs guys like you!

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. fossil

fossil Accidental Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Bend, OR
    "Thanks for you help Rick."

No prob. BB looked at it too, and we've poth pinged Craig about it now. Just waiting to hear back from him. He'll fix this, I'm sure. It never should have been this way. I'm glad it finally came to light. I never start looking at anything on the site until I've signed in, so I would never have known this was happening. Believe me, this was NOT something Craig did intentionally with this forum software...that just ain't Hearth.com's style. Rick

ETA: OK, I spoke out of turn...should have talked with the boss before I tried to read his mind. Sorry.
  3. webbie

webbie Seasoned Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Western Mass.
    Well, what is the summary here? Do logged in hearth.com members see it?

That's the question of the day. I have noticed that we have MANY more "guests" who drive by and grab quick info...than regular members....so considered that they would not be as touchy about ads (which they are obviously not).....

But I don't want logged in members seeing these!
  4. KaptJaq

KaptJaq Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Long Island, NY

Logged in members do not see the ads inserted in the first post on each page, only guests do.

As I mentioned in an earlier post I would prefer that nothing be inserted into my posts either for members or guests. I have sent a lot of new wood burners to this site for all the great knowledge here and many remain lurkers, I don't want them to think I am endorsing a product by posting an ad within my post. Put the ad between the first and second post delimited with a line top and bottom. I don't mind ads, they pay the bills, I just don't want words put into my mouth.

KaptJaq
  5. fossil

Loc:
    Bend, OR
    ^ I like this comment & suggestion from KaptJaq.
  6. webbie

Loc:
    Western Mass.
    I think I was able to change it to that.......after the first post. It doesn't seem to jump out as bothersome now, but let me know.....
    ScotO likes this.
  7. ScotO

ScotO Guest

Well said Kapt, I couldn't agree more!
  8. fossil

Loc:
    Bend, OR
    Better...but still a "part" of the first post content. Can you delineate with horizontal lines as if its a separate post? Am I being too picky? You can always fire me. :rolleyes:
    PapaDave likes this.
  9. PapaDave

PapaDave Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern MI - in the mitten
    Oh wait, I didn't mean I like that he could fire you, Rick.
    Has anyone heard from EW?
    I hate to see anyone leave over something that could possibly be "fixed", or changed.
    I've signed up for MANY forums, but this is the only one I post to on a regular basis. Actually, probably the only one I post to.
    I'm always signed on, so never see ads in posts. Seems like a simple solution.
  10. webbie

Loc:
    Western Mass.
    I put lines around it as well as a space and even titled it as an ad........

That should make it much less in your face.....maybe it's me, but I see a LOT of ads that are much more in-my-face than this one on major corporate and news sites. Heck, when I try to watch a one minute video these days, I have to suffer through 20-30 seconds of commercials......

If it's any consolation to those thinking I am getting wealthy, my site revenue has been headed down each year even as our traffic goes up....the reason being that I don't over-exploit every possible opportunity. But I did think that "guests" are fair game for ONE more ad than registered members.....

I'm willing to listen and be proven wrong by popular opinion.....although this is not a democracy, we (mods, I and the helpful members) are a community and we react to those who are involved.

As to EW, as I said before I have to suspect it's more than one ad......seems upset about other things! Who knows? But we have always welcomed complaints and disagreements.....in fact, that is what this entire forum section is for (or, folks can PM or email me).
    fossil likes this.
  11. fossil

Loc:
    Bend, OR
    Thanks boss. I know what you mean about ads...I'm glad ours are not as obtrusive as is so common across the web.
  12. Danno77

Danno77 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Hamilton, IL
    Maybe I'm being dense, but who the heck is Dudley and where is this thread where he complains or whatever about this free website?
  13. fossil

Loc:
    Bend, OR
    It's all fixed now. If Dudley's still around, he should be a happy camper.
  14. webbie

Loc:
    Western Mass.
    Yeah, some people have mentioned to me that complaining about ads on a free site is sorta interesting...yet I do understand the concerns when things get too crazy. In this case, the ad in question was ONLY shown to guests...not to any member! But maybe someone didn't log in and so they saw it and got angry?

I moved the ad in question to well below the post(s) and used lines around it to clearly delineate it from the conversations. I think those were real concerns. Frankly, I didn't really look at the ad when I put it in......just a quickie glance. So I didn't catch that it was a little "in your face"
  15. fossil

Loc:
    Bend, OR
    What tripped his trigger was he saw the ad pop in the midst of one of his own posts. He extrapolated then that folks who saw it would think he was endorsing or recommending it.
  16. Danno77

Danno77 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Hamilton, IL
    Well, I guess that does seem like a reasonable concern. Glad it seems to be resolved.