dont like soot when emptying ash? i have a solution!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

par0thead151

Feeling the Heat
Jul 26, 2009
south eastern wisconsin
today i tried placing a clear trash bag cut into a sheet on top of my stove top, secured with a log to keep it from sliding off.
this made the plastic act as a barrier between my home and the stove. the draft was very slight as i had burned down the stove to barley any embers.
i was not even too careful with how i dumped the ash as i could not move as easily as without the sheet of plastic, however i did not get much if any soot/ash on the floor where i poured the ash into a bucket.

anyone ever try this?
in my opinion, i will never empty the ash again without it!

only caution is to not place the plastic on a hot stove top...
that and dont let the plastic touch your hot ash bucket.

There is no need of getting ashes on the floor when emptying ashes and for goodness sake, if you are dumping ashes, that is the reason it is a dirty mess. Handle with care, move slow and let the shovel slide out from under the ashes instead of dumping the ashes. I've done this since about age 6 and remember making a mess exactly 2 times. I got my butt kicked big time for making that mess the second time but learned a lesson that I've never forgot. Cleaning ashes need not be a dirty job if done right.

Backwoods Savage said:
There is no need of getting ashes on the floor when emptying ashes and for goodness sake, if you are dumping ashes, that is the reason it is a dirty mess. Handle with care, move slow and let the shovel slide out from under the ashes instead of dumping the ashes. I've done this since about age 6 and remember making a mess exactly 2 times. I got my butt kicked big time for making that mess the second time but learned a lesson that I've never forgot. Cleaning ashes need not be a dirty job if done right.

agreed.
however i can not, for the life of me, smpty ash from a warm/hot stove without getting the big plume of ash wheni slide the aash intot he can ever so slowly.
the heat from the bucket causes the ash to rise out of the bucket. im going to stick to going slow and careful, but have the plastic baggy over my work area so as to trp any particles that do go airborne. my cheap insurance pollicy,and it will keep the wife from killing me when she sees the buildup above the hearth of dust/ash from my previous empties where some ash has accumulated

big plume of ash wheni slide the aash intot he can ever so

^Yeah, what he said.

Some people swear by them, some at them, but every time I take my ash pan cleanly outside for the big dump, I can't imagine living without it. Sometimes for extensive cleaning, I'll stick the tip of the shop vac hose in the stove - not to suck up actual ashes, but just to create a negative air flow and suck up the very fine stuff.

With a window open, I get a pretty good draft sucking the dust back into the stove but I've thought of placing something at the top of the door in case I have a fast plume escape. My thought was something with a magnet or spring clip to stick to the lip of the opening.

Status
Not open for further replies.