Don't panic on the supply of pellets

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

muss

Feeling the Heat
Feb 26, 2008
Embden, Maine
tds
According to Linkletter's in Athens, people need to relax about the supply cause there is & will be an ample supply for the coming heating season. Buy now- pay more cause there are unfortunately a bunch of independent dealers out there, i know in Maine for a fact, that are using the pellet scare to keep their prices up. After 25 years of sales & marketing & talking with quite a few dealers to satisfy my curiosity i could tell the handful that are bleeding the pellet stove owners . If you haven't purchased them yet, believe me , come fall they will be decently priced . Muss

muss said:
According to Linkletter's in Athens, people need to relax about the supply cause there is & will be an ample supply for the coming heating season. Buy now- pay more cause there are unfortunately a bunch of independent dealers out there, i know in Maine for a fact, that are using the pellet scare to keep their prices up. After 25 years of sales & marketing & talking with quite a few dealers to satisfy my curiosity i could tell the handful that are bleeding the pellet stove owners . If you haven't purchased them yet, believe me , come fall they will be decently priced . Muss

We`d love to believe you Muss! But where`s the guarantee?
Oil`s down a bit now but fully expected to rise again come the cold.

Would be nice but judging from what I've seen over
the past few years as a pellet stove owner I'm doubting
very much that pellets will be less money in the Fall.
Of course, I'm not sure what you meant by "reasonably priced".

I think they will be available lower than the $300 delivered that some people have paid, but security (of having them in the garage) outweighs the best possible price for many people - so be it.

no doubt whatsoever that the run-on-the-bank has driven up the price...that is very normal. If we have a warm fall and inventories start to build up in Oct......the price will fall. If world events cause higher oil, the price will stay the same or rise. You pay your $$ and take your chances.

Home heating oil will rise after labor day because of extra demand i.e. everyone will be filling their tanks. Even these people new to pellet stoves will still fill their tanks for backup.

Heavy rains all through the midwest and North East have slowed or stopped logging which has limited the sawdust and polewood supply. Also firewood demand has put a premium price on polewood. Higher prices than pellet manufacturers are willing to pay.

Hunting season is just around the corner as well as Holiday shutdowns (for mills that may still be runing).

These factors will limit the amount of material on the market .

muss said:

Your exactly right Muss......I have a 1/2 ton from last year in the basement......and I have not bought my pellets and I'm not worried.....I will buy at the end of august or first of september....

Status
Not open for further replies.