Don't Regret the purchase

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

EWILT

Dec 5, 2007
Wyoming
I'm seeing several posts on "regretting or second guessing" the pellet stove purchase. I had my propane filled Jun 1st for like 2.29 a gallon, 500 gal tank. Can't remember how much they put in it. I called yesterday to see if the driver was in the area to get filled before the frozen tundra sets in here in Wy. The lady says wow, you haven't been filled since Jun, I'd bet your almost empty. I know that I was at 40% (200gal left) but wanted it topped off, since it was down to 1.79/gal. Later that day the propane company calls and wanted to know how I only used half since Jun. They only thing that uses LP is hot water tank, pellet does all the heat except when its really cold and the wind is screaming. She goes on to fish to see how we only used that much. Long story short I think the LP lady will be buying a pellet stove. Yes, it might take a few years to get payback...but in my opinion we all will see payback in the long run. It's kinda like riding out the market, keeping investing or should I say keep burning the pellets.

EW

I agree, propane is 1.98 here and would need to get to about 1.40 before it would equal the cost of burning pellets at 220.00/ton. I hope it drops that low but I am not holding my breath. At least I now have a choice. By the way I went from Jan to Oct and only used 140 gal of propane, my stove did the brunt of the heating and I need the propane for hot water as well. Don't regret getting a stove at all!

No matter how long it takes for payback, and even if there never is a payback, there is no turning back now. Its bought and paid for, so now I am going to enjoy it and let the chips fall where they may. Suffered buyers remorse on many things in life, and have finally excepted to just roll with it. Did my research, liked everything about a stove; from the fire I have always wanted to the possible cheaper cost of heating my home every winter. And now Uncle Sam is congratulating me with a $300 tax credit. Life is good, enjoy the fire. Now if I could just figure out a way for the kids to roast marshmallows in this thing...

after tending to a 1950's wood boiler system for 15 yrs, ill never look to cut,stack,haul wood again

stack the pellets, and recycle the bag

We bought the stove this September and I have 2 tons pellets used 8 bags so far. Last year we used 190 gal propane in 2 months. We topped off the tank 500 gallon at $2.76 190 gal cost $579.00 with tax. We used 8 bags so far and keeping temp in house at 70 degrees. We are getting down in low 30's now. January will be the real test. No regrets. I have only fired furnace to make sure its going to work its been off since last winter.

Were up in the north 5,500 feet gets down in low teens. We might get snow onTthanksgiving day
:coolsmile:

This is my fourth year with my stove and I love it. Even with the price of oil coming down I will still burn pellets and keep my heating dollars in North America, not Middle east

Actually, truth be told, our friends to our North are the number 1 source of imported oil to the U.S.A....good ol' Canada, eh? :)

Jim

WWWOOWWW! Your propane is CHEAP!!!!

I had my last fill of the 07-08 season on May 23. It was $2.69/gal. I got my first 08-09 delivery Wednesday. The price was still $2.35/gal.

Propane appliances = 100k BTU forced air furnace, hot water, cooking, clothes dryer.

Anyway, my stove was 1 year old yesterday. I burned about 3.5 tons last year. I bought 5 tons for this year.

Propane use (or lack thereof):
10 year average (total gals.) = 856 gallons
07 - 08 = 325 gal

Interesting statistic... My hot water tank died the week before the last fill of 07-08. I replaced it with a Rinnai tankless hot water system (propane version).

May 23, 2008 to Nov 19, 2009 propane = 53.4 gal.
Average (10 year) usage last fill (in spring) until first fill (in fall) = 0.9 gal/day
May 08-Nov 08 average daily propane usage = 0.3 gal/day.

The cost difference of a standard forced vent HW tank and the Rennai was $200 (the Rennai being more expensive). The unit has just about paid for itself in just 5 months.

I estimate that I won't use 200 gal. of propane this year. Coming from almost 900 gallons, I could see a drop of 700 gallons or $1,645 at current prices ($1,889 at last years prices).

Pellets cost me $1,000 this year.

NO REGRETS!

4 weeks ago i had my LP delivered at 3.97/g... so all you guys got off pretty cheap i guess. pellets have been doing the job so far.

Lobstah said:
Actually, truth be told, our friends to our North are the number 1 source of imported oil to the U.S.A....good ol' Canada, eh? :)

Jim

That is true, from what I've seen on this site and other places. I think Mexico is right up there too.

However, I think that reducing our oil consumption could eventually keep us from having to buy from the Middle East (OPEC). We buy from them in part because our neighbors don't have enough for us. (Of course, it's all based on price, including price of shipment here.) Burning pellets makes us less dependent on OPEC, and reduces global warming, since oil is not as renewable as wood.

Lobstah said:

It is true Canada is the number 1 country - but they are just 22% of the total. NAFTA (Canada + Mexico) is about 33%. Total imports aren't dominated by any kind of single cartel group.

The list of top 15 is here, and while they are generally not America's best friends, they also have a lot of competing interests among themselves:
http://www.eia.doe.gov/pub/oil_gas/...ons/company_level_imports/current/import.html

There is a surprising amount of diversity on that list. Russia's natural gas and the coal in the US and China also help satisfy significant parts of the world's energy demands that would otherwise require more oil. There is really less of an opportunity for cartel behavior than one might think. Does OPEC really have the control over the market they used to?

Which isn't to say that availability is flush and we have no problems with market manipulation. I'm just saying it isn't attributable to a group of middle eastern monarchs choosing to restrict supply ala the 70's - even if they do make a convenient fall guy.

The oil market is certainly instable and that is a big reason to move away from oil. But it is due to market speculation and swings in demand plus changes in supply. Exporting countries only control one of those 3.

I've never been comfortable with the "not sending my money to some arab" school of thought. There are villains here of every nationality including American financiers and executives.

Patrick McManus said:
I've never been comfortable with the "not sending my money to some arab" school of thought. There are villains here of every nationality including American financiers and executives.

That is true, Patrick. However, I think that Middle Easterners are more likely to provide financial support to those who who make terrorist attacks on us. Yes the Middle Easterners will still have China and others as customers, not just us. And my thinking may be flawed - but that's my current thinking. Would be interested in hearing further thoughts from you.

bungalobob said:
No matter how long it takes for payback, and even if there never is a payback, there is no turning back now. Its bought and paid for, so now I am going to enjoy it and let the chips fall where they may. Suffered buyers remorse on many things in life, and have finally excepted to just roll with it. Did my research, liked everything about a stove; from the fire I have always wanted to the possible cheaper cost of heating my home every winter. And now Uncle Sam is congratulating me with a $300 tax credit. Life is good, enjoy the fire. Now if I could just figure out a way for the kids to roast marshmallows in this thing...

Are you saying that a pellet stove purchase qualifies for a $300 tax credit?

Jabberwocky said:
bungalobob said:

Are you saying that a pellet stove purchase qualifies for a $300 tax credit?

This has been posted in a few other threads. I guess we'll know for certain when tax time comes around, but it looks legit. Of course it depends when you purchased as well.

SEC. 302. CREDIT FOR NONBUSINESS ENERGY PROPERTY.
(a) EXTENSION OF CREDIT.—Section 25C(g) is amended by
striking ‘‘placed in service after December 31, 2007’’ and inserting
‘‘placed in service—
‘‘(1) after December 31, 2007, and before January 1, 2009,
or
‘‘(2) after December 31, 2009.’’.
(b) QUALIFIED BIOMASS FUEL PROPERTY.—
(1) IN GENERAL.—Section 25C(d)(3) is amended—
(A) by striking ‘‘and’’ at the end of subparagraph (D),
(B) by striking the period at the end of subparagraph
(E) and inserting ‘‘, and’’, and
(C) by adding at the end the following new subparagraph:
‘‘(F) a stove which uses the burning of biomass fuel
to heat a dwelling unit located in the United States and
used as a residence by the taxpayer, or to heat water
for use in such a dwelling unit, and which has a thermal
efficiency rating of at least 75 percent.’’.
(2) BIOMASS FUEL.—Section 25C(d) is amended by adding
at the end the following new paragraph:
‘‘(6) BIOMASS FUEL.—The term ‘biomass fuel’ means any
plant-derived fuel available on a renewable or recurring basis,
including agricultural crops and trees, wood and wood waste
and residues (including wood pellets), plants (including aquatic
plants), grasses, residues, and fibers.’’.

Status
Not open for further replies.