Don't spin simpson duravent elbows!!!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pro5oh

Aug 19, 2008
downeast Maine
I buddy of mine has installed 3 vent kits so far and they all have leaked. He found out that the seams are sealed and if you turn them...you break the seal. Of course it looks like youre typical stove pipe where you can turn it, but you cant!!!!!!The pros know this, but we didnt.

Greybeard said:
I buddy of mine has installed 3 vent kits so far and they all have leaked. He found out that the seams are sealed and if you turn them...you break the seal. Of course it looks like youre typical stove pipe where you can turn it, but you cant!!!!!!The pros know this, but we didnt.

Yes, i found out the hard way as well.

Greybeard said:
So, If someone just had to turn one (yea I admit it ) If I run a new bead of sealant on the inside and smooth it out with a finger will that cure the problem?

So, If someone just had to turn one (yea I admit it ) If I run a new bead of sealant on the inside and smooth it out with a finger will that cure the problem?

I haven't used any elbows myself, but I would guess that once I had everything dry fit, I would hope to seal the inside joints of the elbow and then seal the outside joints as well once in place.

Steve

oj simpson dura bent will leak if you twist an elbow or not. Put it together the way you need it, paint it and then seal every seam joint rivet etc with high temp silicone.

Check out the new ICC Excel stuff. Thats a nice pellet pipe.

I second the ICC Excel. Great pellet pipe!

Hey Boston Baked, Yes you can seal the inside and have it work ok afterwards. But as someone else mentioned here, you cant seal simpson pipes enough. Even if you dont spin it, seal everything, and then seal everything, and oh yeah, seal everything.

Hows about the Simpson Pro line, any better?

Greybeard said:
Hey Boston Baked, Yes you can seal the inside and have it work ok afterwards. But as someone else mentioned here, you cant seal simpson pipes enough. Even if you dont spin it, seal everything, and then seal everything, and oh yeah, seal everything.
Thanks for the advise. I was also under the impression that no sealant was need on this so called NEW Pipe. The Pellet Vent Pro line. So it was a bunch of horse poop it looks like. P.s. thanks to you other folks who responded to my question. Wish I saw this post before I bought this pipe.

Status
Not open for further replies.