Don't think my pipe damper is doing anything

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

johnstra

Feeling the Heat
Sep 6, 2010
Northern Colorado
I've never used a pipe damper, so I don't know what's supposed to happen when I close it down. I can't tell a bit of difference when I shut it... draft seems the same, fire doesn't choke down, nothing. What could be wrong?

Yes - sounds like a problem w/ the damper. If I close my damper (as well as primary air), I'll essentially smother the fire. Cheers!

I’ve never used a pipe damper,

Older non EPA stoves needed them to control the burn rate.

The vent was opened prior to opening the door of the stove...that let all the hot gases go up the flue. Once the stove was loaded and burning well you'd close the vent 45* or so.

In case of a chimney fire you might close it all the way to help starve the flue from air.

Newer EPA stoves don't need a flue damper, but being a mental case I put one in anyway.

I know it's closing. I was able to verify that when I installed it. I'll play around with it some more to see if I can tell if it makes a difference. A flue damper is not supposed to stop flue gasses, it just impedes them. I just thought I'd be able to visibly see a difference in fire behavior like I can with the primary air control

johnstra said:
I know it's closing. I was able to verify that when I installed it. I'll play around with it some more to see if I can tell if it makes a difference. A flue damper is not supposed to stop flue gasses, it just impedes them. I just thought I'd be able to visibly see a difference in fire behavior like I can with the primary air control

With your primary air closed or almost closed nothing at all changes about the characteristic of the fire when you close the damper? Or are you using the damper with the air wide open?

Wide open I can't see a visible difference (although there obviously must be one). When the stove is cruising, I can see the rate of burn change.

I've only need to use the damper 3 times in 2 years when it was extremely windy and or very cold.

pen

Thanks Pen. That's what I was hoping to hear. I tried closing it when the primary was wide open yesterday during a reload. I expected to see the fire die down, but it didn't. I did hear my stove pipe ticking, though, like it does when I cut the primary air back, so I think it did make some difference. I also tried closing it on a full load with the primaries really blazing. As you say, it didn't seem to make any difference at all.

I put it on for safety and because some say they get more heat out of the stove with a flue damper closed.

johnstra said:
Thanks Pen. That's what I was hoping to hear. I tried closing it when the primary was wide open yesterday during a reload. I expected to see the fire die down, but it didn't. I did hear my stove pipe ticking, though, like it does when I cut the primary air back, so I think it did make some difference. I also tried closing it on a full load with the primaries really blazing. As you say, it didn't seem to make any difference at all.

I put it on for safety and because some say they get more heat out of the stove with a flue damper closed.

When I had one, I used it for safety. It was another way to bring the fire under control, but I used it only when the primary
air was already closed. I would use it for only a few minutes because it would kill the fire, which is what I was looking for
with temps headed to 700 and the primary closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.