Don't try this at home...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Yooper

Dec 12, 2006
Michigan's Upper Peninsula
Saw this in the local paper back before Christmas but never got a chance to post it. Here it is, a tragic tale for your reading pleasure.

Alleged dispute results in fire

NATIONAL MINE — An alleged domestic dispute turned into a blazing inferno early Tuesday morning, leading to the total loss of a National Mine home.

According to the Michigan State Police, a dispute between homeowner Steven Rautio and his girlfriend ended up with Rautio using a chainsaw to cut up the Christmas tree before stuffing it into the woodstove along with various Christmas decorations. A fire resulted and burned the home at 3090 County Road 476 to the ground, police said

“The house was fully engulfed by the time I arrived on the scene,” said trooper Brian Muladore of the Negaunee Post, who responded at approximately 7:15 a.m. “The homeowner was being combative with the firefighters who were on the scene as they tried to stop him from going back to the fire. Eventually, I had to restrain him and lead him away from the house.”

Rautio was transported to Bell Hospital to be treated for minor injuries sustained during the alleged domestic dispute, police said.

No charges have been filed in the case, but Muladore said the investigation continues.

“I wasn’t able to complete a full interview with either person involved,” he said. “I’ll be continuing that process today. The prosecutor will then consider charges.”

The man and his girlfriend were taken by family members to separate locations, Muladore said.

Fighting the fire were members of the Ishpeming Township Fire Department, the Richmond Township Fire Department and the Marquette County Rescue Unit.

I saw that in the Mining Urinal (link has picture) too. It even made the Weird News.

It takes all kinds in the UP...

His house, right? Think he could have used a bigger firebox? Maybe smaller splits? Was it the lights and decorations?

Black humor aside, those two needed separation long before this insane conflagration.

I just love a real tree. They smell so much better in the stove than an artificial....

Status
Not open for further replies.