Don't understand my new wood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

emt1581

Minister of Fire
Jul 6, 2010
PA
I was running low on wood and this being the 6th month in our new home, having a cord from last season to ensure proper seasoning just wasn't an option. I called up the last guy I got wood from but he had none ready so I got it from another guy.

I tested the wood and it tested at around 13-17%. I wasn't able to stack it so I left the pile and covered it with a tarp, but not before the snow started. So it had a very light dusting on it by the time I covered it with a tarp.

Now at face value this stuff is different than I had last time. For starters the pieces are HUGE! Longer and weigh a good 5-8lbs each.

Here's the confusing part...

They are higher in moisture content however, three of them have now been burning for a good hour and a half in my fireplace (stove won't be installed until next month). The last cord...I'd go through 8 pieces or so in the same time span.

Is it a good thing that the wood is as big, heavy and long burning as it is?

Thanks!

-Emt1581

trailrated said:
What kind of wood is it? Oak, hickory, ash, etc?

Mostly oak as far as I can tell. Definitely some hickory though.

-Emt1581

emt1581 said:
I was running low on wood and this being the 6th month in our new home, having a cord from last season to ensure proper seasoning just wasn't an option. I called up the last guy I got wood from but he had none ready so I got it from another guy.

I tested the wood and it tested at around 13-17%. I wasn't able to stack it so I left the pile and covered it with a tarp, but not before the snow started. So it had a very light dusting on it by the time I covered it with a tarp.

Now at face value this stuff is different than I had last time. For starters the pieces are HUGE! Longer and weigh a good 5-8lbs each.

Here's the confusing part...

They are higher in moisture content however, three of them have now been burning for a good hour and a half in my fireplace (stove won't be installed until next month). The last cord...I'd go through 8 pieces or so in the same time span.

Is it a good thing that the wood is as big, heavy and long burning as it is?

Thanks!

-Emt1581

Without knowing what the previous wood was, nor precisely how you measured MC, one can only speculate.

Burning any sort of decent wood in a fireplace is participation in some ancient ritual, not an efficient and responsible use of a valuable resource. IOW it's a waste of wood that generates much more pollution than it could be limited to in a proper appliance. Not to be judgmental, but you'd be better served by waiting for that hole to be plugged, via insert.

Just think what it'd do in a proper stove, though it might have to be cut/split.

I think heavy, long-burning wood is a good thing. The wood seems quite dry (you measured fresh splits in the part of the wood that was the middle before you re-split, I assume), so the heavy weight ust be due to dense wood fibers. The more wood fiber, the more energy in the wood. More energy is a good thing. Large splits burn slowly, so if you want a hotter fire faster, split them smaller.

Larger pieces will burn longer/slower than the same weight of wood split smaller- if the moisture content is the same. More moisture, slower burn, more coaling.

Measure moisture content by splitting and measuring at a fresh face of the wood- the inside and outside are very different.

Status
Not open for further replies.