Don't you hate it when.....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

remkel

Minister of Fire
Jan 21, 2010
Southwest NH
You come home from a long day at work and the stove is cold, then you are called to go out for dinner and do not have a chance to start it before leaving and come home to a house that is 64? All this on what is forecasted to be the coldest night of the year so far??? UUUUUGGGH!

As detailed in another thread, I hate when I screwed up last night and woke up in a 63 degree house this morning. And didn't even get to go out for a nice dinner beforehand.

I am gonna turn in my hearth.com merit badge.

he's right Remkel... at least you got a nice dinner!

Pizza with the family- yes it was nice, but I could not wait to get home and have some wood produced BTUs warming the place. Just wondering if there is a twelve step program for wood burning addiction.

BrotherBart- we are all human- I am sometimes so bad the hearth.com committee permanently banned me from even seeing one of those badges :)

BrotherBart said:
As detailed in another thread, I hate when I screwed up last night and woke up in a 63 degree house this morning. And didn't even get to go out for a nice dinner beforehand.

OK, I didn't know there were merit badges. What do I have to do to get one :question: %-P I am an Eagle Scout so that would be nice to add to my collection. :)

I think BrotherBart is part of the hearth.com Freemasons........unless you know the handshake and the rituals, the badges are out of reach :)

Remkel said:
I think BrotherBart is part of the hearth.com Freemasons........unless you know the handshake and the rituals, the badges are out of reach :)
I was afraid of that. :-S Remkel, It looks like you have a stove ever older than mine. There aren't many of us left.

Badges? We don't need no stinkin badges...

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

tfdchief said:
Remkel said:
I was afraid of that. :-S Remkel, It looks like you have a stove ever older than mine. There aren't many of us left.

Yup, with a little maintenance (new fireback this spring) and some TLC paint I plan on running her for a long time. Think I might have to change to SS pipe in the chimney at some point- clay liner just does not stay warm. Other than that, love that old bird!

BrotherBart said:

Whats wrong with 63, you ought to live up north.

Remkel said:
tfdchief said:
Remkel said:

Yup, with a little maintenance (new fireback this spring) and some TLC paint I plan on running her for a long time. Think I might have to change to SS pipe in the chimney at some point- clay liner just does not stay warm. Other than that, love that old bird!
I burned mine for years just stuck in the fireplace like the instructions said. I thought from the start (before I had ever heard of direct connects) that it would be a lot better that way but never could figure a way to do it. With the advent of all the new stuff out there, I bought SS liner and connected direct. I had to make a transition boot for the rectangular opening to the round SS liner, but it was worth it. Much safer and my chimney stays a lot cleaner and much easier to clean. I have never burned it very hard because I don't have to...my house is well insulated and tight, so it is in good condition after all these years. I better quit rambling before I get accused of high jacking the thread, sorry.

oldspark said:
BrotherBart said:

I have plowed the driveway when it was three degrees. And been in bed when it was below zero outside. But last night was the only time in twenty five years that this joint got under sixty nine degrees upstairs.

Move or kick that Summit in the ass and get some heat.

BrotherBart said:
oldspark said:
BrotherBart said:

I have plowed the driveway when it was three degrees. And been in bed when it was below zero outside. But last night was the only time in twenty five years that this joint got under sixty nine degrees upstairs.

That, sounds like a challenge, to me :)

BrotherBart said:
oldspark said:
BrotherBart said:

Gonna have to do something with the chimney this summer. Tonight no south wind and temp in the teens, summit on idle and 70 in the house.

Still sounds like a challenge, OS :)

12* out here on Long Island, stove top crusing at 750 and my thermostat in the next room has dropped from 69* to 66* over the last 3 hours. And the outside temp is still dropping. :ahhh: And I did nothing wrong!! I'd have rather gone to dinner! Oh, and my thermostat is set to 60 so I would never complian about 64. If I can keep it over 60 I'll be happy.

Remkel said:
You come home from a long day at work and the stove is cold, then you are called to go out for dinner and do not have a chance to start it before leaving and come home to a house that is 64? All this on what is forecasted to be the coldest night of the year so far??? UUUUUGGGH!

Now imagine you are the owner of a 270 year old house. You would come home to a home with the temps below 60 degrees. You'd end up spending the better part of a day burning the cold back out of the house.

spencer186 said:
12* out here on Long Island, stove top crusing at 750 and my thermostat in the next room has dropped from 69* to 66* over the last 3 hours. And the outside temp is still dropping. :ahhh: And I did nothing wrong!! I'd have rather gone to dinner! Oh, and my thermostat is set to 60 so I would never complian about 64. If I can keep it over 60 I'll be happy.

It's currently 7 degrees outside.

Or imagine that you have a big ass stove half in and half out of a fireplace. And the blower is installed on the back of it. From day one it has been obvious that you have a bad bearing in the blower. But not wanting to lug that bad groan out of the fireplace, not to mention going up top to lift the liner, you just keep using it.

And then on a ten degree night it screams to a halt..

Funny how those two little "personal" fans ya bought at year end at Target on clearance for a buck eighty five apiece blowing under the stove do a better job moving heat out of the fireplace than the $180 stove blower did.

You can put a BB in that BBRRRRRRRRRR

BrotherBart said:
oldspark said:
BrotherBart said:

Our thermostats are set at 62* upstairs. That is our usual "wake up" temp. Our "go to bed" temp might be 66-67. My kids would be in their summertime PJ's at 70*. I never lived in a house that had a temp over 70* in the winter, until I bought the stove.

Well, it is now 6 degrees outside and dropping- stove is cruising at 500 in the basement and house is now up to 67- some sanity has been restored to my life. Good news is, we get to start all over again in the morning!

BrotherBart said:
Or imagine that you have a big ass stove half in and half out of a fireplace. And the blower is installed on the back of it. From day one it has been obvious that you have a bad bearing in the blower. But not wanting to lug that bad groan out of the fireplace, not to mention going up top to lift the liner, you just keep using it.

And then on a ten degree night it screams to a halt..

Funny how those two little "personal" fans ya bought at year end at Target on clearance for a buck eighty five apiece blowing under the stove do a better job moving heat out of the fireplace than the $180 stove blower did.

Bigger is not always better in this case, Brother. Sometimes it is amazing what you can find at the dollar store- and only for a dollar :_)

Remkel said:
Bigger is not always better in this case, Brother. Sometimes it is amazing what you can find at the dollar store- and only for a dollar :_)

Yeah but the wood stove selection at Dollar General is kinda skimpy. ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.