door adjustment vs new gasket

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ozzy73

Burning Hunk
Jan 31, 2008
ON, Canada
During cleaning the HT I gave the door the dollar test and it did not pass. I tried tightening the door with a 1/2 and full turn and it was very tight to close ( hard on the handle ). Even with the tight closing the gasket passed the dollar test on the handle side but not near the hinge side. To my knowledge there is no way to adjust the hinge side.

Im thinking new gasket.

Are you noticing shorter than normal burn times, a difference in the control of the stove, or discoloration of the glass in the area that it failed the dollar bill test?

If you do replace the gasket, be certain to get the right material as some call for higher density gasket than is available at many hardware stores (I don't know what gasket your stove uses off the top of my head)

pen

I did not notice any changes in the control or burn times of the stove but there is a little more discolartion on the glass near the hinge side. When I turn of the lights in the room I can see a very slight glow from the where the gasket seal is near the hinge. Just checked the manual and new gasket is recommended annualy.

It is recommended that you change the door gasket (which makes your stove door air tight) once a year, in order to insure good control over the combustion, maximum efficiency and security.

It seems that the gasket should last more than a year but sounds like it needs to be replaced. I burned 3 years with my original gasket but had to adjust the door twice, cant adjust any more so Im going to need a new one soon. Is your door adjusted as far as it willl go?

I just did my door gasket this week. It probably needed it for a while, dollar bill test failed on the bottom edge, no amount of adjustment would help.

Its not difficult.... 30 min work. But I cheat and use a dremel to clean out the old cement.

Status
Not open for further replies.