Door and Glass Gaskets.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DamienBricka

Feeling the Heat
Nov 3, 2013
Pittsburgh, Pa
When i was cleaning the stove today I notice that maybe the gaskets are bad. Should I replace them now? Can it wait? And if they need changed how do I do it? Thanks for the wisdom guys.

Attachments

• 01132014 037.jpg
    01132014 037.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 120
  • 01132014 035.jpg
    01132014 035.jpg
    121.9 KB · Views: 118
Dollar test ??????

Shut a dollar bill inbetween the door and stove and see if you can pull it out. If you can't without ripping it then you are good. Do this all the way around.

Don't rip your dollar bill :)

Can I use a regular piece or does it have to be a dollar bill.

use any paper you want. Your gaskets are really clean!

I can pull it out on all full sides but I have a lot of resistance.

Then your door gasket is good. Creosote forming on the glass on the edges will sometimes let you know a glass gasket is going bad, they tend to fail much less than the door gasket. You could try running an incense stick or cig if you smoke around the glass while the stove is running hard to see if it pulls the smoke in.

You could try running an incense stick or cig if you smoke around the glass while the stove is running hard to see if it pulls the smoke in.
I do not smoke but I will get incense when I have a change and double check. Thanks Mellow

Status
Not open for further replies.