Door Gasket came off.....use High Temp Silicone to stick it back on?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dannynelson77

Feeling the Heat
Hearth Supporter
Jan 5, 2010
PA
My door gasket came off last night on the one side. Do I just use High Temp Silicone to seal it back onto the door??

No, stop at a stove shop and buy gasket glue.

pen

As long as you are getting stove cement, you might want to consider picking up a new gasket. Chip out the old stove cement with a small chisel, wire brush the channel, cement in the new gasket and you'll be good for years.

Thanks guys. I do plan on just getting a new gasket and then cement it in, but my local stove store didnt have gasket cement in a small tube (only large) so I just went with this stuff from Rutland called Hi Temp Gasket Adhesive. Probably not as good, but this is really just a temporary fix so i can keep using the stove until i get the new gasket and cement.

Yea I figured.....plus I wont have to worry about scraping any cement off when I do put the new one on......

I like the Rutland the best. Currs real fast and wire brush takes it out easy. Never seen the need to use it though if you have a groove. Only ever glued on the ones that go on flat surfaces.

Status
Not open for further replies.