Door Gasket End Gap

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

RomanW

Hey everyone,

Was just cleaning out the stove and noticed this little gap between the ends of the gasket. This stove has been used 3 times? I haven't noticed any performance issues, I can still turn it down. But right above this gap there is what looks like spatter on the glass (Which I thought was just sap spraying on the glass).

Should I address this?

Door Gasket End Gap Door Gasket End Gap

Yes. Get some Hi-Temp RTV & reattach the gasket to the metal.
You may have to scrape any residue from the original adhesive
off the metal before you apply new. Replace the front & let the
new adhesive cure for a couple of hours before firing.

Reactions: RomanW
Yes. Get some Hi-Temp RTV & reattach the gasket to the metal.
You may have to scrape any residue from the original adhesive
off the metal before you apply new. Replace the front & let the
new adhesive cure for a couple of hours before firing.
Thanks! Just to confirm so I understand, pull the existing gasket off, remove any adhesive currently in the door channel, and reapply the existing gasket making sure the ends meet, and allow the RTV to cure for a couple of hours? I assume the gasket just needs to be stretched out a bit more?

I don't think you need to go that far. I would try to just get the ends resecured, but if this unit has only been fired 3X, call your hearth shop & have them repair it under warranty.

That being said though, just pop the ends up, clean the door surface, reapply gasket cement and stretch the ends to touch each other and let cure for a couple of hours?

I would, except I got it straight from Drolet lol
This is a common issue. The tape used to keep the gasket ends from fraying melts during your first burn. Melted tape sticks to stove body and pulls gasket ends, thus fraying them. I and others have had this happen. DROLET (SBI) sent free replacement gaskets. The replacement gasket is a different material and density that the OEM gasket. When I replaced mine I put the seem at the top of the door, and used masking tape on the ends. I figure that I want any leak to be at the top of the door so that it mixes with the air wash air. I do not want a leak at the bottom of the door bringing unwanted air into the stove. After wrapping the masking tape around the end of the gasket, I cut the masking tape from the side that would touch the stove. I did not want anything to melt against the stove body again. I used red RTV to seal the ends together.

That being said though, just pop the ends up, clean the door surface, reapply gasket cement and stretch the ends to touch each other and let cure for a couple of hours?
I would try this first, but use red RTV instead of gasket cement. The RTV is flexible, easier to work with and easier to clean. SBI sends a tube with a replacment gasket.

This is a common issue. The tape used to keep the gasket ends from fraying melts during your first burn. Melted tape sticks to stove body and pulls gasket ends, thus fraying them. I and others have had this happen. DROLET (SBI) sent free replacement gaskets. The replacement gasket is a different material and density that the OEM gasket. When I replaced mine I put the seem at the top of the door, and used masking tape on the ends. I figure that I want any leak to be at the top of the door so that it mixes with the air wash air. I do not want a leak at the bottom of the door bringing unwanted air into the stove. After wrapping the masking tape around the end of the gasket, I cut the masking tape from the side that would touch the stove. I did not want anything to melt against the stove body again. I used red RTV to seal the ends together.

View attachment 303105 View attachment 303106
Masking tape can deal with that heat?

Two pictures are attached. 1st is a sample of a replacement gasket with masking tape before I trimmed it away on the stove side. Second is my stove today at the seam. You can see the red RTV joint. If I look closely at the very edge of the gasket where it meets the door, I can see blacked masking tape. The RTV holds everything tight and in place. All is good.

Reactions: RomanW and DAKSY
I would let that silicone set up overnight...

and cover it with a small piece of tinfoil for the first few fires. Or forever. I've done that with two of those gasket joints. No leaks, no mess.