door gasket, good cleaning, should be it

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gyingling

Aug 13, 2010
south central PA
I replaced the door gasket on my stove the other day, was looking worn, and was getting a soot line from one corner of the door. Put the new gasket in place, ran the stove and the glass is staying cleaner, everything looks better.

I have noticed since that the heat output is about 4-5 degrees less than before I replaced the gasket. Same pellets, same fire setting. That doesn't make a lot of sense.

Would it make sense that I need to adjust the slider damper now that the stove is burning "tighter" with the new gasket? I don't have a magnehlic yet, but the flame doesn't look bad. Any thoughts?

Readjust the damper for a proper flame.

If you changed the damper trying to compensate for the bad burn you need to readjust it now that you have corrected the real cause of the problem.

Hello

Also good to do the dollar bill test to assure the door is properly adjusted after the gasket was installed.

I didn't make any adjustments to the stove, only changed the door gasket. On the second day of burning, the temp crept back up a couple degrees. I did give it a good cleaning, pipe and all. Maybe that had something to do with it. Sometimes this stove makes me shake my head. Thanks for the replies.

gyingling said:
I didn't make any adjustments to the stove, only changed the door gasket. On the second day of burning, the temp crept back up a couple degrees. I did give it a good cleaning, pipe and all. Maybe that had something to do with it. Sometimes this stove makes me shake my head. Thanks for the replies.

What I meant by adjustments is:
If the Dollar Bill test fails, then you need to adjust the door hinges so it closes more tightly on the door gasket. :)

Don2222 said:
gyingling said:

If the Dollar Bill test fails, then you need to adjust the door hinges so it closes more tightly on the door gasket. :)

Thanks, I didnt mean anything by the comment, Smokey had mentioned the damper, so I was catching it all together.

My door doesn't appear to have a hinge adjustment, it just rests on two pins that are welded to the firebox. Although an adjustment would be nice. This is also my first year using a pellet stove, so I am on a bit of a learning curve.

Thanks for your advice.

gyingling said:
Don2222 said:
gyingling said:

Thanks, I didnt mean anything by the comment, Smokey had mentioned the damper, so I was catching it all together.

My door doesn't appear to have a hinge adjustment, it just rests on two pins that are welded to the firebox. Although an adjustment would be nice. This is also my first year using a pellet stove, so I am on a bit of a learning curve.

Thanks for your advice.

On your stove check the door handle to assure it closes tightly.

Status
Not open for further replies.