Door gasket installation

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

precaud

Minister of Fire
Jan 20, 2006
Sunny New Mexico
www.linearz.com
I have to put a new gasket on the door of the Quad 2100, the factory installation was not very uniform and it leaked in 3 corners. I've put on many gaskets over the years but nothing this big! This sucker is a snake!

Anyway, the question is: when you lay the braided gasket in, should you:
a) bunch it up (fluff).
b) stretch it out.
c) neither - just lay it in.

My inclination is "b" because it eliminates the air in the braid and makes it's density more uniform around the perimeter. But I'd like to hear from the pros.

precaud said:
I have to put a new gasket on the door of the Quad 2100, the factory installation was not very uniform and it leaked in 3 corners. I've put on many gaskets over the years bit nothing this big! This sucker is a snake!

Anyway, the question is: when you lay the braided gasket in, should you:
a) bunch it up (fluff).
b) stretch it out.
c) neither - just lay it in.

My inclination is "b" because it eliminates the air in the braid and makes it's density more uniform around the perimeter. But I'd like to hear from the pros.

Ain't no pro, but I have always just laid'em in and they worked fine. Ya don't want to stretch it and reduce the diameter for sure. Fluffing it up should work ok also.

I will resist any "fluffer" jokes here.

I personally if it's a rope gasket would attempt to fluff it up a little. My unit has a rope gasket that's gotten compressed over the years. Any moment now and it'll be too compressed to seal properly. I think fluffing it up gives you a little more time out of it. If it's a flat gasket like my old stove I did like BB and just layed it in.

When I replaced mine the owners manual said to immediately test it out on the stove. Put a flashlight in the stove and look for any light streaming out. If you see any gaps you can either lay more gasket down at the end and fluff or pull part of the gasket out and put extra cement behind it.

Matt

C is the correct answer if you have the right size

Personally I like the clear Gasket glue by KEL KEM . It spreads evenly and is far easier to work with, than the Rutland gasket cement
I initially lay the gasket in the grove and cut one inch extra. I then apply the glue and gently press it in without stretching and make the final cut when all is seated

I think laying it in is the general concensious here.
precaud, go ahead and try that. I sent you enough gasket to do the door severl times over. I didnt want you to run out ;)
I agree with the above statements, but i will go ahead and call anyway on wensday and get the official quadrafire answer.
Did you plug that hole you were looking at? have you ran the stove since?

MountainStoveGuy said:
I think laying it in is the general concensious here.
Agreed. That's what I'll do tonight.

precaud, go ahead and try that. I sent you enough gasket to do the door severl times over. I didnt want you to run out ;)
I must say, it looked like a generous length... thanks, MSG!

I agree with the above statements, but i will go ahead and call anyway on wensday and get the official quadrafire answer.
Did you plug that hole you were looking at?
Yes.

have you ran the stove since?
No, as you know, there were 3 separate issues/uncertainties, happening in the middle of that cold snap we had, so I put it on a nice roll-around dolly that I have and put the Morso back up. My plan was to fab a secondary air control for the Quad over the weekend, but I spent it cutting the wood pile down instead. I'll let the gasket cement cure overnight and put it back up tomorrow. Amazingly, the Quad and Morso are exactly the same height for the connecting pipe, so swapping them in and out is not that big of a deal.

you know, quad uses some 600* rtv on there doors, im not sure how much, I think that they just spot it on to help hold the gasket during the cement process. Im not sure, precaud will have to let us know.

That's exactly right, MSG. Orange-colored RTV in the 4 corners and where the ends meet. I think they could have used more RTV to support the gasket better.

I'm also going to grind down the door latch cam to pull the door tighter on the handle-side of the door. It's much tighter onthe hinge-side. There's a .050" washer in front of the cam, so I'll take the cam down that much, so If I find it's not good (I doubt it), I can just double up on the washer to bring it back to normal.

Status
Not open for further replies.