Door Gasket Measurement

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Aranyic

Burning Hunk
Sep 3, 2015
Ohio
I've done some searching but couldn't find this answered anywhere. My stove manual lists the internal part number for my door gasket but no actual measurement. I've called the support line and the person I spoke with couldn't find an answer they are supposed to be calling me back tomorrow. How is door gasket measured though? Example would 5/8" gasket be the width of the channel or is it the height of the gasket and how far it comes up out of the channel?

There are also different densities of gasket, to complicate things more. Can you buy the gasket from the manufacturer? Or are you trying to avoid doing that?

There are also different densities of gasket, to complicate things more. Can you buy the gasket from the manufacturer? Or are you trying to avoid doing that?
No real reason I am trying to avoid it u didn't realize that it would be that specific. The stove is in its first season and the gasket just comes out in a few spots with no resistance at all. Figured I'll reattach it and if I was able to get a replacement locally I was going to try and upgrade quality a little on it maybe?

Can I just pull the gasket, clean the groove out and then put the same one back in with some red rtv silicone?

Traditional method is with gasket cement, but this stuff is not fun to clean off when it's time to replace the gasket, so some have been using various high-temp RTV's with success in recent years.

Your manual should call out diameter and "braided" or "woven" type, if it's a generic gasket, or a part number if it's a pre-formed or other special part.

Status
Not open for further replies.