door gasket questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rparker

Feeling the Heat
Jul 17, 2011
Vermont
Replacing the door gasket on a CB1200 and have a couple of questions.
What do you do with the slightly frayed ends of the new gasket? It supposedly is cut to length so if I trim it, will it be short? I would need to trim about 1/4" from each end to get past the fray. I assume that I can give it a little stretch to make up for this.
Where do you position the cut? I assume somewhere on the bottom - middle.
Anything else I am missing?
TIA.

no, youre fine....just adhere the gasket, trim the stray strands with a nail clipper, etc

Some stoves I have seen make the joint in the middle of the bottom or side. I like to make the joint in the lower left corner looking at the front of the stove. That is a nice out of the way place and joining in the corner is easier. I also like the Hi Grade Graphite Impregnated Grapho-Glas. I always keep a little on hand. :) See pic below. Click to Enlarge

P.S. The clear Hi Temp RTV not only works well and is easy to use but looks good too!

Attachments

• door gasket questions
    Grapho-Glas.JPG
    258.5 KB · Views: 122
What do you do with the slightly frayed ends of the new gasket? It supposedly is cut to length so if I trim it, will it be short? I would need to trim about 1/4" from each end to get past the fray.....

Use the hi temp silicone that you have and put a blob between the ends and push together so it's close to the same size as the rest of the gasket.

If it's cut to exact length already, don't cut it......make it fit the opening. I prefer the joint dead center in the bottom....easier to push the ends together into the silicone.

just finished the gasket..put the door back on and she is TIGHT. Had to back off the door adjustment screws all of the way and it is still very tight. Does the gasket compress that much over the years?
I checked BEFORE installing it and it was the proper size gasket. Only issue would be if it was mismarked in the package.
Guess there won't be a problem with the dollar bill test.

Yes to the gasket compressing.

Status
Not open for further replies.