Door Gasket Rope - round vs. tape/flat - please clarify

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JTG

Dec 30, 2014
Eastern PA
Stove Newbie here -

I need to replace the rope gasket on my Quadra-Fire 41i-ACC Wood Insert door (low density, 5/8" x 6.5', graphite impregnated). I'm a bit confused because I'm seeing/reading about round rope vs flat rope (sometimes referred to as rope 'tape' ??). Which do I need? (Rutland rope kits w/sealant seem to be flat rope. Per/foot rope off a spool seems to be round - so confused.) Of course, looking at what I have today, it's flat but I don't remember if it started off that way when I first bought the stove, or it's always been like that.

Thanks for confirming with those links - it's what I had bookmarked also. I was concerned because looking at the Rutland kit in the store, the rope seems somewhat flattened and not nicely rounded, so I wasn't quite sure. Some folks were referring to this style as 'Rope Tape' in the comments and felt it didn't seal as well as the more rounded, gasket ropes.

Status
Not open for further replies.