Door Gasket Size

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Caoimhin

Feb 7, 2006
My Jotul #4 Combifire has a half-inch channel around the door for a gasket, so I put in a half-inch gasket.

It's not nearly snug enough (I can slip out a piece a paper & see light with the door closed).

Do I bunch up the same sized gasket rope, buy the next size larger gasket, glue a couple of muskrats around the inside...?

And is the only test of a gasket that's too large when the door won't close (or close well)?

An old manual (which I've read on the board is rumored to exist) might shed some light, as might the experience and wisdom of some of y'all.

Thanks!

Good question. I was thinking grey squirrels for mine. :) But seriously, I would LOVE to have a manual for my combifire #4.

Did you get low density gasket (cheap rutland stuff)? When you installed it did you put it in loose or pull it tight?

When in doubt, go next size larger

Don't listen to him I think he went through at least 3 before he found the right one for his stove. ;-P

HAHAHA ;) Good memory.
Actually Tom sent me the wrong size the first time. So I'll blame that one on him, the 3/4 was just a tad too small. No 7/8" locally available. So I went a WOPPING 1".
Now that sucker seals ;)

It's all about the density.

1/2" low, medium and high density gasket are night and day as far as sealing ability goes. You need to find out which one belongs in your stove. Or, try to find 5/8" medium density. Slightly oversized, it will still fit into the channel and should give you all the sealing you need.

Status
Not open for further replies.