Door gasket?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

John Fortier

Feeling the Heat
Sep 29, 2013
How long does a door gasket normally last?

Until it starts leaking. One week to 5 yrs. Do the dollar bill test.

In your case, the ride to your house. I start thinking about gaskets after 4 years.

Reactions: Big E
I believe fellow forum poster Alternativeheat said his new P61 door gasket was faulty and had to replace it the first week he had it.

Dollar bill where gasket is falling apart..pulled right out. Everywhere else it would not pull out. Would this cause a heat loss? What else may it cause?

Reactions: Bridgeman
Its sucking your heat out faster than it should past the exchangers and fouling the proper air path that's supposed to be going through the fire.

If the dollar bill test failed, that means a leaky gasket which means a vacuum leak which means very lazy fire or even an automatic shut down by the Harman control board. Not sure about Thelin.

If you failed the "dollar bill test" it is time to consider getting a new gasket. Will the stove make the season, it likely will, but as the gasket seal loosens, so does the efficiency of the stove overall.

I have noticed it is not throwing out as much heat..problem pinpointed. Thanks folks.

Status
Not open for further replies.