door gasket

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chrisasst

Minister of Fire
Aug 13, 2008
cortland ny
So I thought I would buy a new door gasket. ( couple spots were smushed in I guess you could say.) so I went to the store I thought 5/8" was right. Got home and nope, not thick enough. 5/8 is the biggest gasket I can find. Anyone know where I can get a thicker one. I really don't want to have to go to where I bought the stove...
according to website ---Pellet, XL,Door Rope XL, 1/2" round----- the 1/2" I find is way to small.

I'd try the big box stores. I have bought them at Lowe's as kits. Very cheap. If you don't want to go to the selling dealer's try another dealer, or even a heating and airconditioning dealer. They may sell it by the foot. I would measure across the channel and take that with you. Most HVAC or stove dealers can suggest the size you need. If you don't get a kit, I have used high temp sealer for adhesive. Leave the stove cold clean the channel (remove the door for ease if possible) do the install, tape over the new gasket and close the door tight for an hour or so to set the adhesive.

chrisasst said:
So I thought I would buy a new door gasket. ( couple spots were smushed in I guess you could say.) so I went to the store I thought 5/8" was right. Got home and nope, not thick enough. 5/8 is the biggest gasket I can find. Anyone know where I can get a thicker one. I really don't want to have to go to where I bought the stove...
according to website ---Pellet, XL,Door Rope XL, 1/2" round----- the 1/2" I find is way to small.

I remember seeing a video. The installer would push the rope together to make it fatter and pull it apart to make it thinner.

So if the stove call's for 1/2 rope. You should be able to make 1'2 rope think enough. Measure the old one to see how think it is and see if you can Match it by pushing it together.

Hope this helps.
jay

chrisasst said:
So I thought I would buy a new door gasket. ( couple spots were smushed in I guess you could say.)

Chris, are you SURE you need a new one? Have you done the dollar bill test? There may not be anything wrong with your present one, even though it looks "smushed".

Going to replace mine this weekend, stove is 10 years old Gasket is very smushed, and when i open the door i see spots where smoke has come out around the door and stained the Metal, near the handle.Also couple spots where cement has come undone, i'll just put a new one in for $10 at the dealers..
BTW heres that video you were looking for.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_YykBbOTDg&feature=player_embedded

macman said:
chrisasst said:
So I thought I would buy a new door gasket. ( couple spots were smushed in I guess you could say.)

Chris, are you SURE you need a new one? Have you done the dollar bill test? There may not be anything wrong with your present one, even though it looks "smushed".

the bottom left corner was almost shown metal. I ended up just rotating the old gasket, now my door is very hard to close when it is cold, so I don't know. I tried to "squeeze" together the new gasket but I couldn't quite get it. Now I thought about some how gluing two gaskets together. If I put a 5/8" and a 1/2" (I think it is 1/2") together it is pretty much perfect.

I also did the leafblower the same day. All of a sudden I am getting very very little ash on my window and my temp out of the blower has seemed to increase by 8 degrees or so....

so one or both of these things have made something better...

Status
Not open for further replies.