door gasket

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

save$

Minister of Fire
Sep 22, 2008
Chelsea Maine
I want to replace my stove's door gasket but I am having problems trying to identify it so I can get a replacement. I found one on line for $25. but the ones at Lowe's are about $8
My problem is that I don't know if this stove needs a brand name replacement or what size it should be. I have looked at the owner's manual and done repeated searches on line, but I still can't find any information on this gasket.
Stove is Napoleon NPS40
Any real need or advantage to using the Napoleon brand name gasket?
Thanks

I saw that same gasket kit at Lowes last week and I was wondering about it too. It has adhesive and the gasket. They had 3/8 and 5/8 versions. My door gasket easily passes the dollar bill test, but reading around here makes me feel guilty for not changing it for many years. Some folks seem to change it all the time. But then I think, if it ain't broken..... Any opinions?

I agree! If not broken don't fix it unless the stove is not operating correctly or the gasket is falling apart. (Fraying)

My Enivro has a double bulb gasket on the door, so I HAD to go with the expensive factory one.

Do you have a dealer nearby that could tell you what the part number is without ordering one right away?

I have a few places on the top of the door which will not hold a dollar bill back when I pull on it. It pulls out with about as much resistance as it would if had a book on it. The bottom of the gasket grabs the bill and I am sure it would rip if I kept pulling. I tried reshaping it with my fingers, but without any detectable change. The soot pattern on my door is no different than it was when the stove was new. But then I never tested the seal when it was new so I really don't know if there is a change. I gave the stove a faily good cleaning today. Leaf blower, vac etc. Did the bowers a month ago. Change my pellets from Bayou to MWP. Good crisp burn.

save$, I think that the resistance is what you are after. I would be OK with that. But that's IMHO. Others may have more professional advice.

gyingling said:
My Enivro has a double bulb gasket on the door, so I HAD to go with the expensive factory one.

Do you have a dealer nearby that could tell you what the part number is without ordering one right away?

The dealer I bought my stove from had his access pulled. Another nearby dealer sell furniture and stoves. He has a large parts store, but the parts are way too expensive. I paid $15 for one blower gasket that I can get online for $8 or cut one out myself even less. I trust you guys here way more than at the dealers. There is another dealer in the area I haven't visited. I'll give him a call, but wanted to see my our forum member have to say.

Many parts on pellet stoves are used in other applications. ( Blower motors, auger motors, gaskets, glass, screws etc.)
If you do the research, you can replace most pellet stove parts with the same part marketed for other uses.
Pellet stove dealers mark the prices way up because its a "pellet stove". For example, my combustion motor at a pellet dealer was over $200, I found the same exact Fasco motor for $79 with free shipping online.

I just got a new door gasket today for my Greenfield at my dealer... cut to length at $1.50 per foot. It's a 3/8". The tech at the store cautioned me not to stretch or shrink it just let it lay on the door and roll it in. Got some hi temp silicone to install it and a chunk of hi temp tape to help it stick at the seam...

This new gasket is way different than what is in there now.... although the one I have now looks like the factory one it does not seem to be as thick as the new one.

Film at 11.

Been having a dirty stove the past few weeks. Just replaced all gaskets but combustion blower. I'll save that for the spring. How long should I wait to fire up the stove for the gasket sealant to cure?

Indy3 said:
Been having a dirty stove the past few weeks. Just replaced all gaskets but combustion blower. I'll save that for the spring. How long should I wait to fire up the stove for the gasket sealant to cure?
Overnite should be fine.

krooser said:
I just got a new door gasket today for my Greenfield at my dealer... cut to length at $1.50 per foot. It's a 3/8". The tech at the store cautioned me not to stretch or shrink it just let it lay on the door and roll it in. Got some hi temp silicone to install it and a chunk of hi temp tape to help it stick at the seam...

This new gasket is way different than what is in there now.... although the one I have now looks like the factory one it does not seem to be as thick as the new one.

Film at 11.

How did the change go? Any problems closing the door?
Thanks

save$ said:
krooser said:

Film at 11.

How did the change go? Any problems closing the door?
Thanks

Gave up last night and went to bed... I had to clean the door in the kitchen sink...scraped off more soot than I could imagine from the glass... washed it up and let it dry. this morning I'll clean the channel and replace the gasket.

Hello

The Napoleon pellet stove Door gaskets are very different! Not the standard rope gasket at all! You need to purchase the special Napoleon Wolf-Steel W562-0022 Glass & Door tadpole style gasket!

See pics below

Attachments

• 1003121647.jpg
    1003121647.jpg
    150.9 KB · Views: 773
  • Glass&DoorGasketKit.jpg
    Glass&DoorGasketKit.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 477
save$, The round rope gaskets are adjustable. You stretch it to make them small or push it together to make it larger. Some call this bunching to get it a larger diameter. Here's a couple of video's to help. 1st one is dave gault a fello member(or was-Haven't seen him here anymore!).
...snip

Dave is still on here but working at a different place.

Status
Not open for further replies.