Door gaskets - wondering if I should admit this?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I

ISeeDeadBTUs

Over the years, I've heard all sorts of laments about door gaskets. Some brands more than others.

The GW has no gasket. Simply 1/4 steel plate against 1/4 steel plate.

Is it because we have natural draft that we don't need door gaskets or am I missing something?

Jimbo

Dunno about the design of the GW, but classic downdraft gasifiers (EKO, Econoburn, Tarm) have a blower that pressurizes the top chamber. If you don't have a really good gasket on the top chamber door you'll get noxious fumes.

Some models use a suction blower to draw air out of the secondary chamber such that both chambers are at slightly less than ambient pressure. Lots of draft would have the same effect. In that scenario you wouldn't need a perfect seal.

Thanks NoFo. I knew a smart guy would come along and make sense of it.

Probably designed that way to prevent the fire from going out during extended idle times. It let's a little bit of air in to keep things going.

Must be a Greenwood thing. Greenfire's have a gasket... I think I saw pictures of Anthony's Seton with door gasket also...

I built my Seton from Freds plans, and it does not have any gasket material for the door. My door actually seals as close to air tight as one could get. The guy who did the welding for me did a greta job.

Status
Not open for further replies.