1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Door Glass Cleaning: Anyone thought of...

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by Swamp Fox, Oct 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Swamp Fox

Swamp Fox Member

Went out today to buy a few things and bought a bottle of "FAST ORANGE" hand cleaner. Had some time to kill and got to reading the back of the bottle and read that it is petroleum sovent free, is a citrus cleaner, and removes the following: "...toughest dirt, grease, grime, soils, resins, printer's ink, paint, glue, rubber cement, gasket and tile cements." It comes with or without pumice. I was wondering if anybody has tried any of this stuff (or the Gojo brand) to clean their stove door glass. I plan on giving it a try the next time I clean my glass. Any thoughts?

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Jfigliuolo

Jfigliuolo New Member

use a damp cloth dipped in ashes. cheap and it works.
  3. suematteva

suematteva New Member

Loc:
    Rutland, VT//Southern Quebec
    we use white vinegar and water it works also.
  4. AKFireMan

AKFireMan New Member

Loc:
    Fairbanks, Alaska
    Be careful using the stuff with the pumice. That stuff is very abrasive and can etch your ceramic. I use it at work alot ( without pumice) and it is a great general purpose cleaner. We tried to clean regular glass with it and it tends to streak alot. .02 worth

Ron
  5. junksta

junksta New Member

Loc:
    Pinedale, AZ Elev. 6400'
    It seems like anything with orange citrus works for me, tried a couple of citrus products you find at the dollar store and they work great.
  6. GVA

GVA Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Waxhaw, NC... Formerly North shore Mass
    Well the common denominator in all those citus products is "citric acid" and a little scent for those faint at heart.
    An old trick is when cleaning your grates for your barbque is to take a couple of those packs of cool-aid and add them to a bucket of hot water (I mean hot) soak the grates for about a 1/2 hour then hose them off, hardley any work......... But for the ceramic glass I'll stick to windex ;-)
  7. hilly

hilly Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Vancouver Island, Canada
    Am I the only one that just uses a damp rag or am I lucky I've got a clean burning stove with dry wood?
  8. greenergrass

greenergrass New Member

I have found that if I burn between 500 to 600 surface temp, whatever is on the glass just comes off. After one season of burning I might clean the glass 3 or 4 times.
  9. smirnov3

smirnov3 Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Eastern Ma
    With my pellet stove (accentra insert), a damp rag seems to do the job (I figured that if damp ashes do a good job of cleaning the glass, then why not use the ashes already stuck to the glass?)

If you do use a cleaner liquid, be carefull that it doesn't contain soap (some generic / cheap cleaners do) - it will streak your glass unless you wash it off with water (double your work for no good reason)
  10. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    Put your stove type in the signature block please so that others know what you're burning. The stove type can have a big influence on how clean the glass stays and how often one cleans it.
  11. tradergordo

tradergordo Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Phoenixville, PA
    As already mentioned in the last thread about cleaning stove glass - yes, this stuff works great!

p.s. I too have found that I get no buildup at all when I burn properly seasoned wood and don't let the wood touch the glass. Then again, not all of my wood is properly seasoned.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.