Door Glass Cracked!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chrism

Feeling the Heat
Oct 8, 2009
Eastern PA
ok so I have been spending a Loooooong time completely redoing an Isle Royale. Tonight was the night I was putting it all back together and the door slipped out of my hand fell against the stove and it cracked the glass !!!!! I thought I was going to pass out !!! anyway new glass is $172.00 I thought I was going to pass out again !! so what I am getting at is can I still use the stove for a couple weeks till I get the new glass ? it didn't shatter it just cracked . Thank you

Did it just crack, or is it in two pieces?

Its held in place by the tabs but its still in one piece its a crack all the way through from top to bottom. I'm thinkin the heat might be the straw that broke the camels back ???

Can you go down to the local fab shop and get a piece of metal cut to fit. Seems though ,unless it funds, you could get a piece pretty quick locally or through the mail.

I can't say if it's safe or not but I personally wouldn't be burning it. Can you feel the crack on both sides of the glass?(inside/outside) I wonder how the thermal expansion/contraction will work with the crack. I know we have some smart members who will guide you properly.

Put a layer or two of aluminum tape across it to seal it up.

NATE379 said:
Put a layer or two of aluminum tape across it to seal it up.
What about the adhesive?

If metal were put here I'd be concerned that it could warp or expand / contract in a way that the glass doesn't and end up damaging the door itself or at the very least the mounting points.

I'd say err on the side of caution and wait it out for the new glass. If you try that broken glass and have a problem, you could end up getting a load to over fire and damage the stove. For what little you are going to spend on fuel oil or propane this time of year, if I had a back-up I'd be switching to it.

Just my 2cents.

pen

Owweee! What a bummer. Check with www.onedayglass.com for pricing. I think you can cut this down to a more reasonable sum.

It's not glass, it's a transparent ceramic material which has basically zero thermal expansion/contraction and a tremendous capacity to withstand heat (thus its use in woodstoves...thank NASA for sponsoring the development of this material). If the two pieces of your window are still clamped securely into the door just as they were before when they were a single piece, and there isn't a piece missing, then I don't see any reason why you couldn't try a small fire and see how the stove behaves. At worst it's going to have an uncontrollable (but miniscule) supply of combustion air leaking in through the crack. Keep an eye on it and if anything about it makes you uncomfortable, then abort the experiment and don't burn again until the replacement pane is installed. After all, we routinely open the door wide during most any stage of a burn...so what's the big concern? Rick

Hey begreen THANK YOU SOooooooo much I just put in my measurements on that web site for my broken window and its only $50 . And thanks to everyone for helping me out. This Forum is great and the people here are great as well!!! Quadrafire Isle Royale from what I hear is a great stove but Parts are RIdiculous!!! A brick retainer I needed was $40 I went to home depot brought a 6 foot length of 1" angle iron for $12 which is what Quadrafire uses and I made 3 brick retainers for $12 their prices are Nuts for parts !!

Chrism said:
Hey begreen THANK YOU SOooooooo much I just put in my measurements on that web site for my broken window and its only $50 . And thanks to everyone for helping me out. This Forum is great and the people here are great as well!!! Quadrafire Isle Royale from what I hear is a great stove but Parts are RIdiculous!!! A brick retainer I needed was $40 I went to home depot brought a 6 foot length of 1" angle iron for $12 which is what Quadrafire uses and I made 3 brick retainers for $12 their prices are Nuts for parts !!

Boy howdy, Quadrafire is MIGHTY proud of their spare parts......I love my Isle Royale so far, but I'll be shopping everywhere but Quadrafire for any parts I might need....

NP

BeGreen said:
Owweee! What a bummer. Check with www.onedayglass.com for pricing. I think you can cut this down to a more reasonable sum.

Wow, nice find. I hope I never need them, but, those are good prices.

Used them here also. Didn't break my glass, but scratched the hell out of it. Now it is backup to the replacement I got from Oneday. They were actually cheaper than my local glass shop, and it was delivered to my door! Ratyer than driving 20 miles to the glass shop here.

BeGreen said:

Duly noted and bookmarked, just in case. Thanks!

pen said:
If metal were put here I'd be concerned that it could warp or expand / contract in a way that the glass doesn't and end up damaging the door itself or at the very least the mounting points.

I'd say err on the side of caution and wait it out for the new glass. If you try that broken glass and have a problem, you could end up getting a load to over fire and damage the stove. For what little you are going to spend on fuel oil or propane this time of year, if I had a back-up I'd be switching to it.

Just my 2cents.

pen
Can't believe a piece of metal .125 or .187 th could possibly expand for a than a thousandth and if it can warp then so can most of the steel stoves on the market all made from that size stuff. I would cut it to fit with a gap around the edges though.
I had a stove last yr. The glass kept getting so dirty I was almost ready to put metal in place of the glass just so I wouldn't be constantly cleaning. Couldn't see the fire most of the time anyhow. It was a pre EPA stove.

Hey guys. I came on here looking for a replacement glass front on my Century Stove Model FW240007. I saw the link for "onedayglass". My questions are;

1) My owners manual states I should only use high temp robax pyroceram of the proper size and thickness. Can I use the Neoceram on the onedayglass website? Is it a better choice or should I just stick with the original?

2) I can measure it out but my tape measure doesn't go down to small enough fractions of an inch which will affect me in all measurements including thickness. Does anyone happen to know the stock measurement for this glass on this stove?

3) I tried contacting the company from the info in my manual but they have apparently gone out of business.

My glass cracked tonight so I got on here and did a search and here I am. :)

Thanks and have a great day!

fossil said:
It's not glass, it's a transparent ceramic material which has basically zero thermal expansion/contraction and a tremendous capacity to withstand heat (thus its use in woodstoves...thank NASA for sponsoring the development of this material).

Thumbs up for NASA! I know that most people recommend against discussing politics but the percentage of the national budget that goes (or went) to NASA is a tiny fraction of the overall budget. A very long list of spinoffs, from cordless tools to kidney dialysis, can be found at http://www.nasa.gov/centers/kennedy/news/facts/nasaspinoff.html. A list of "Spinoffs that Rock" (sat TV, smoke detectors, edible toothpaste) can be found at http://www.nasa.gov/audience/forstudents/k-4/home/spinoffs_feature_k_4.html.

Status
Not open for further replies.