Door glass question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

yodarman

Oct 5, 2014
Vermont
I removed clay panels that were in our door and ordered glass replacements. When I was removing the clay pieces one of the screws broke and I did everything I could to remove it.

I am hoping someone wise can help me figure out how I can secure the glass piece into the door so I can use my oven.

I have attached a picture. The top hole is the good one. The bottom hole has the screw in it. It is mostly bored out as I drilled through it to get the screw remover tool in it.

Attachments

• stove door.jpg
    stove door.jpg
    245.7 KB · Views: 131
It looks like you started to drill it out? I would get an easy out with a left handed drill bit. Lubricated with some type of penetrating fluid and try to back it out.

If an easy out isn't working. Take a flat chisel and and fold the top of the broken screw inwards. What your trying to do is break the threads free and hopefully it'll back out. If that doesn't work drill that screw out until you have almost matched the original diameter of the hole, then run a tap through cutting new threads and put matching thread pitch screw back in. Good luck

Do not use an easy out, when you break one you will really have a problem.
Figure out what size thread you have and get the correct tap drill and tap.
Drill out the broken screw and re tap the hole.
In a situation like this easy outs usually don't work.
Good luck.

If there was any part of the screw sitting proud you can tack weld a nut to it. The welding heat breaks the rust free and allows it to turn.

I was going to suggest folding in the bolt as well. But didn't know how far the gentlemen felt comfortable with. I agree tack welding to the broken bolt if enough meat left on it. Have to be careful with a welder and cast materials. Good luck on it. With a little patients and perseverance. You will get it out. Good Luck.

I do not have the skill or the tools to weld unfortunately.

I used the lubricant to no avail. If I just used a soldering iron to heat the screw would it melt out? I am not sure.

At this point I am wondering if there is another way I could secure the glass to the door. I really appreciate your ideas and feedback.

Take the door to a machine shop, they'll fix you right up. If you just keep messing with, you'll just mess it up more. Rick

Soldering iron is not hot enough and a plumbing torch could be a problem on cast unless you preheat the whole door.
The hole you drilled looks pretty well centered so I would creep up on the tap drill size drilling it out.
Once you get close, be careful as the drill will hit the threads - stop at this point and soak it with a good penetrating oil (wd-40 is not). Then chase the remaining screw out with a tap. This is a slow process and you need to remove the pieces of the screw very often. Once the tap hits the bottom use a bottom tap or grind a taper tap into a bottom tap

Status
Not open for further replies.